Re-entering the US without receiving the green card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-entering the US without receiving the green card

I got my family-based visa that expires on March 1st, 2020. I traveled to the US at the end of January, but I left after five days because of my job. My resignation will be active the next May, and I plan to return to the US before June (That is before six months of the entry date).

The problem is that my green-card has not arrived yet, and they stamped only an entrance stamp on my passport, no validity date is written, only the time of entrance.

My Social Security Card arrived at my relatives' address after ten days of my arrival, and the green card status is "In Process."

Can I re-enter the US with an expired immigration visa by the entrance-stamp only?

What if the green-card delayed? Should I ask the embassy to renew the visa?

Best regards.

Yes, you can re-enter the US on the I-551 that your immigrant visa turned into. The expiration date of the immigrant visa is no longer relevant (the visa is void since it is single use anyway). However, the immigrant visa turned into an I-551 (equivalent to a green card, which is also an I-551) for one year from your date of entry. So it basically serves as a temporary green card until January 2021. There is a line on the immigrant visa that says "upon endorsement serves as temporary I-551 evidencing permanent residence for 1 year". The "endorsement" is the entry stamp you got at entry. The 1 year counts from the date of that entry.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post
      There is a line on the immigrant visa that says "Upon endorsement serves as temporary I-551 evidencing permanent residence for 1 year".
      The "endorsement" is the entry stamp you got at entry. The 1 year counts from the date of that entry.
      I found this line exactly as you said.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForImmiHelpForum3.png
Views:	172
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	725689

Great information, Many thanks for your precious reply.
      Last edited by Mohammad ElNesr; 02-20-2020, 01:53 AM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X