Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-9 verification_lost expired conditional green card_I-751 pending

Hi all,

I've lost my conditional green card last June when I mailed in the materials for Korean visa application. When I lost it, my conditional green card was about to expire in 90 days (31AUG19), which is time to apply for I-751 (Petition to remove condition on residence). I called USCIS to ask for steps to proceed, whether I should file I-90 to replace lost card or whether I can file I-751 directly. The stuff instructed me to file I-751 directly and include a letter stating that I have lost my conditional resident card. I did what is told. I received Receipt Notice on 29June19 and Bio-metrics service notice OCT2019. I showed up for the service and got the stamps.

This spring I got interviewed for another job and started new job 23Mar. 25MAR I was terminated since I didn't pass I-9 verification. I've provided them with photocopy of I-551 (my conditional resident card) and I-751 receipt notice. Also mentioned I can provide them with I-551 approval notice if needed. I explained that I don't have the expired conditional green card since I've lost it. They mentioned that I must have the original card to pass I-9 verification.

I called USCIS customer service explained the situation hoping there's anything they can do about it, and I-9 department as well. They mentioned there's nothing they can do except getting I-551 stamps from USCIS or waiting for my renewed card to arrive. This is the first time I learned about I-551 stamp. However, the offices are closed due to COVID-19.

Does anyone have similar experience? Is there anything I can do about this situation?

Thanks!!

The employer was right to not accept a photocopy of a document, or an approval notice. You have two options to pass the I-9:
    1. Use your unrestricted Social Security card (a List C document) plus your state driver's license (a List B document). Unrestricted means it doesn't have text on it that says "valid for work only with DHS authorization" or "not valid for work". If you got your Social Security card after you got your green card, then it should be unrestricted. If you got your Social Security card before you got your green card and haven't updated it since, then it may be a restricted card.
    2. Go to the USCIS office to get an I-551 stamp on your passport, which is a List A document. However, that is hard given USCIS is not doing in-person services right now.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Thank you sooo much for your response. Can you give me more instructions on getting renewed social security card?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanezhang View Post
        Thank you sooo much for your response. Can you give me more instructions on getting renewed social security card?
        You mean you have a restricted Social Security card?

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X