I-751 approval and divorce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-751 approval and divorce

So, I’ve applied for I-751 January last year, got a RFE this March and my status just changed to ‘new card is being produced’ on July 1.

I would take it as the case approved, right? But we have been juggling the idea of getting divorced due to indifferences but didn’t know what to do. When my case got approved my USC wife says since you’ve got the green card, let’s get divorced. I am planning on applying for naturalization. What’s the repercussion of getting divorced right after approval? Should we give some time before we file? I think I can wait about 2-3 months and another 3 months for the divorce to finalize which will give like 6 months after approval. Would you say that’d be safe to not raise concerns when I file for N-400?

Thank you

Originally posted by rfcpatrick09 View Post

I would take it as the case approved, right? But we have been juggling the idea of getting divorced due to indifferences but didn’t know what to do. When my case got approved my USC wife says since you’ve got the green card, let’s get divorced. I am planning on applying for naturalization. What’s the repercussion of getting divorced right after approval?
    The biggest repercussion, I think, is that you wouldn't be eligible for naturalization under the 3-year rule. You would have to wait until 90 days before your fifth anniversary as a green card holder.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X