Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to get DL in IL with expired passport?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get DL in IL with expired passport?

My GC and passport are expired.

I applied to renew my expired GC last week and don’t have a biometrics date yet. However my passport also expired and my VA DL is expiring in 2 weeks. How do I get a new DL in IL? They don’t seem to accept expired passport. I made calls and no one is lifting the phone. Even I-551 stamp is made on valid passport. It is said a temporary i-94 can be issued with a photo on it and I-551 stamp on it if passport is expired but they are not giving any InfoPass appointments for people inside US.

Also, what are the steps I need to follow and their sequence?

Driver license

Vehicle registration and title

Emissions test

Auto insurance

Change of address

Please advise.

Thanks much!
    Last edited by SanjayGB; 08-26-2020, 06:36 PM.

So you moved from Virginia to Illinois?

Virginia driver's licenses have been extended 90 days or 180 days in some cases. Does that apply to you?

USCIS does make appointments for emergency document services. Did you call them?

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Yes, I moved from VA long time ago.

I need IL DL as per USCIS guidelines and cannot have VA license anymore.

but they do say they don’t entertain walk in anymore -

Should I wait for the license to expire and walk in? Is expired DL considered as an emergency?

Comment

Originally posted by SanjayGB View Post
        Yes, I moved from VA long time ago.

I need IL DL as per USCIS guidelines and cannot have VA license anymore.

but they do say they don’t entertain walk in anymore -

Should I wait for the license to expire and walk in? Is expired DL considered as an emergency?
        Some people have managed to get appointments to get I-551 stamps, so you can try too, especially since in your case you have no other valid proof of permanent residency. See this page, under "Field Office Appointments and Rescheduling":
        If you need help with emergency document services (such as ADIT stamps or advance parole), we are working to schedule those appointments as soon as possible. You may experience slightly extended wait times as we gradually and safely resume in-person services. If you need to schedule an emergency document service, you may reach out to the USCIS Contact Center to make an appointment.

Comment

I went to the DMV but they required a valid legal status and how long I’ve been in the country. My expired passport and expired GC and current out of state DL did not help, Even though the required docs document says only one document from each group ABCD) and not mentioned in the manual but if we are not a citizen, we need to also prove our status with additional docs.

I have an appointment with USCIS field office tomorrow to get a temp i94 with 551 stamp on it due to expired pp. DMV also required me to prove how long I’ve been in this country. Does i94 have that detail?

thanks!

thanks!

Comment

I went to the DMV but they required a valid legal status and how long I’ve been in the country. My expired passport and expired GC and current out of state DL did not help, Even though the required docs document says only one document from each group ABCD) and not mentioned in the manual but if we are not a citizen, we need to also prove our status with additional docs.
            Illinois does have a version of TVDLs for non-status applicants, but they are only for people who have been resident in Illinois for at least 12 months, so I don't think it would work for you (plus TVDLs are supposed to be for people who don't have SSNs, and you do have an SSN).

I have an appointment with USCIS field office tomorrow to get a temp i94 with 551 stamp on it due to expired pp. DMV also required me to prove how long I’ve been in this country. Does i94 have that detail?
            I-551 proves that you are a permanent resident, and it shouldn't matter how long a permanent resident has been in the country.

Also, remember to bring two passport photos for your appointment tomorrow; I believe they need photos for the standalone I-551 stamp on an I-94.
            Last edited by newacct; 08-09-2020, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Hey, thanks!

yes, I have 2 pp photos ready.

If I get the i94 with i551 stamp on it to prove my residency, do I still need a valid passport at IL DMV to get a DL? I called them but they seem to not know what the i94 with a i551 stamp on it means.

I am getting the i94 today with i551 stamp on it which is like a temp GC). They say I need a valid passport, i94 and legal status. The manual says either GC/551 or i94 with valid passport but they don’t seem to follow that. The other day they said, if I’m not a citizen, I need to have a valid passport, my legal status and i94. A GC holder doesn’t need i94 and it doesn’t matter how long a GC holder is in the country - that’s for H1B’s, etc. Even though it is mentioned we can use an out of state valid DL from group A category of docs to get a new DL, they still insist all these docs - the manual doesn’t insist.
              Last edited by SanjayGB; 08-10-2020, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Thought this might help somebody...

I got the GC extended for 6 months with a separate i94 document made with i551 stamp on it (because the PP was expired, they would not put the i551 stamp in the PP). This is my new paper GC as they took away the old expired GC. Later, I spoke to several people at the DMV and they did not know if that can be used for getting a DL in IL. It went through SOS, then finally with a manager at DMV. I went to DMV and got the DL and registration done using the i94 with i551 stamp on it.

Now, I would like to know if I can use this temporary extended GC to renew my expired PP.
                Last edited by SanjayGB; 09-08-2020, 03:35 AM.

Comment

Why do you even need a GC to renew your passport?

Comment

I got that from people who went through this process before and said CGI needs valid GC to renew expired passports -

https://www.immihelp.com/forum/india...d-greencard-ok
                    Last edited by SanjayGB; 09-10-2020, 02:22 AM.

Comment

Thats not true. You do not need GC to renew PP.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickygade View Post
                        Thats not true. You do not need GC to renew PP.
                        I think some countries whose citizenship is lost if you naturalize elsewhere, require proof of valid non-citizen status in the US to renew your passport, so you can't pretend to still be a citizen of that country if you've naturalized in the US. For those countries, they might only give you a temporary travel document or you have to jump through many hoops to get a passport if you are out of status. If the OP's country of nationality is such a country, the problem was, the OP is in status, but didn't have valid proof of it until he got his I-551 stamp. I believe he should be able to renew his passport with this, as it is a recently-issued document showing that he's a permanent resident (and thus not a US citizen).
                        Last edited by newacct; 09-14-2020, 03:01 AM.

Comment

Yes, I have an Indian passport that is expired and I’m currently an Indian citizen.

I sent a message to CKGS through their website last month, got a confirmation page saying they would get back to me in 24 hours but nothing heard so far. And no one lifts the calls on their 888 number - it says center is closed and to call between 9-5 even though I called between those hours. The 917 numbers are invalid.

I’ll send them another message.

Thanks!
                          Last edited by SanjayGB; 09-14-2020, 12:28 PM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                          X