Re-entry into US after COVID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-entry into US after COVID

Hi, My mother had to return to US before June 4, 2020 on her greencard and couldn't due to Covid. I have the proof of cancelled tickets (I had to go and bring her here) that happened twice during this year. Wlll I be able to bring her back without any issues to California? I spoke to a lawyer and he said the procedure is to get the re-entry of resident permit from US consulate in Mumbai or Delhi. My mother is in Hyderabad and not in a situation to travel to get the visa (she has a lung disease that might prove fatal if contacted with Covid). Due to Covid, I have not traveled back to bring her. But now, I have to since her health is of concern to me,
    Any experience bringing older parents into US in the past one month with the green card entry date expired? Please share.

Thanks

Originally posted by bdharmav View Post
    Hi, My mother had to return to US before June 4, 2020 on her greencard and couldn't due to Covid. I have the proof of cancelled tickets (I had to go and bring her here) that happened twice during this year. Wlll I be able to bring her back without any issues to California? I spoke to a lawyer and he said the procedure is to get the re-entry of resident permit from US consulate in Mumbai or Delhi. My mother is in Hyderabad and not in a situation to travel to get the visa (she has a lung disease that might prove fatal if contacted with Covid). Due to Covid, I have not traveled back to bring her. But now, I have to since her health is of concern to me,
    Any experience bringing older parents into US in the past one month with the green card entry date expired? Please share.

Thanks
    When did she initially travel to India ?
    Is she in possession of a 10 yr greencard ?
    When does / did this card expire ?
    Opinion only. Cannot be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by bdharmav View Post

Thanks
      My parents just returned to the US via Newark airport after being out of the country for 14 months. They returned without an SB1 visa or a re-entry permit. They did have a flight reservation for a few months ago though which got cancelled so they did intend to return to the US within a year but given their age and flight availability, they couldn’t return sooner. The immigration officers didn’t really ask any questions. Air India at Mumbai airport also only checked their green card validity and let them board, they didn’t check any stamps in the passport.

Comment

I have a valid Re entry permit till Nov 2020 and currently I'm in India and unable to travel due to COVID travel restrictions and Health safety concerns. Looking for pointers on how to get the re entry permit extended from outside of US. or am I hearing that over staying beyond the re entry permit date shouldn't be issue, as long as the Green card is valid

Comment

Is there way we can get a legal opinion this? Just wanted to make sure over staying wouldn't impact my Green card status.

Comment

Originally posted by dasikap View Post
            Is there way we can get a legal opinion this? Just wanted to make sure over staying wouldn't impact my Green card status.
            You can consult an immigration attorney, USCIS or your local US consulate for guidance. They may all suggest applying for a returning resident visa. I have not heard of USCIS granting any extensions to the re-entry permit.

Comment

Thank you all for your replies. I have consulted Immigration attorney in US. He said we can risk it by bringing her here without the returning resident visa. I have also contacted US consulate in Mumbai. They have not yet started giving appointments for returning resident visas and have no definite dates. Will it be too risky to bring my mom here without the visa? It has been 15 months now. The last date she left US is June 4, 2019.

Comment

Hi Everyone, I have requested US consulate in Mumbai as special circumstance and got the same reply that we need to apply for appointment. The appointments are not open for re-entry resident visa or any visa for that matter. Is it too risky to bring her without the re-entry resident visa? Can I present her case at the port of entry and they might let her in? I have canceled tickets in Feb and April due to Covid. Please advise.

Comment

This is a tricky situation because USCIS has not put out guidance or policy on how COVID-19 affects individuals with LPR returning to the US with an expired Re-Entry permit.

There is the possibility of getting a Returning Resident visa, if they're resuming operations.

For this type of situation it's recommended to speak to a qualified attorney, although be aware that since USCIS has not put out guidance, they may have limited answers at this time also.
                  Last edited by ceci1073; 10-12-2020, 09:18 AM. Reason: Link
                  Marriage AOS - 2018

4-10: Sent to Chicago Lockbox
                  4-12: Arrived in Chicago
                  4-14: Picked up by USCIS
                  4-19: Email & text notifications received
                  4-23: I-797 Receipts received
                  4-27: Biometrics notice received
                  5-10: Courtesy letter for I-693
                  5-11: Biometrics completed
                  6-04: Interview scheduled
                  6-09: Received interview letter
                  7-10: Interview complete & approved, status change to New Card being Produced
                  7-13: Card was Mailed
                  7-18: Green Card in Hand

Comment

Its unbelievable, that no guidance was given by USCIS, for Green card holders, that are struck outside US during this unusual Covid situations.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                    X