Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-751 when to change last name?

Hi all,

We are preparing to send I-751 for my wife. We have not changed her last name so far and we are wondering what is the best way to do it. I know we can change it later with N-400 however we would like to change it now.

I heard you can ask an officer at the end of the interview but what if there is no interview and you will get 10-years green card? You won’t have that chance to ask.

Does it make sense to put my last name on I-751 so new green card will be printed with changed last name? Then update all other documents - social, ID, etc. Or that is not the proper way?

thank you in advance for the help.

I thought you might need to change the name at the court house and use that document to submit your I-751. There will be a charge for the name changed.

Hope this helps.

Comment

I asked the same question to my lawyer and he advised us not to do it until requesting citizenship. I guess it is because probably all documents right now doesn't have the new last name and we dont want to create confusion. Lol and also foreign passport still has the old last name

Comment

The only thing my wife still has her maiden name on is her immigration info and passport. SS number, drivers license bank info, credit cards taxes paystubs all in her married name. the marriage license lets you do that . We will change her name when she is naturized and gets an American passport.
        4-18-18 PD
        4-29-18 Finger Print fee was received
        9-26-18 I-765 and I-131 Approved
        10-02-18 Card Was Delivered To Me By The Post Office (sent to Lawyer) Day 167
        10-03-18 Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview Day 168
        10-05-18 your case has been scheduled for a interview. Day 170
        11-13-18 Interview
        11-13-18 New card being produced
        11-15-18 I130 and I485 Approved
        11-20-18 Card Mailed

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...