Travelling with Expired Green Card and I-797 Notice of Action

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travelling with Expired Green Card and I-797 Notice of Action

If one has expired 2 years conditional green card and has I-797 Notice of Action that was reiceved in response to the petition to remove conditions on green card and was recently received, would it be safe to travel out of US for three weeks? Are there any problems to re-enter US?

yes, it's safe

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Hi,
      If one has expired 2 years conditional green card and has I-797 Notice of Action that was received in response to the petition to remove conditions on green card and was recently received, would it be safe to travel out of US for three weeks? Are there any problems to re-enter US?
      Answer: Yes you can travel with the help of I-751 receipt notice. Please make sure to have below mentioned documents while travel.
      1. Valid passport
      2. Expired conditional GC
      3. Valid I-797 C notice ( Normally it will provide extension for 18 months)
      Thanks

Comment

Hi,
        Yes, it's safe....I just got back from Europe and didn't have any problems coming back to USA with my extension letter.

Comment

I've heard stories that those traveling with the 797 can get pulled for a secondary inspection, although this is mainly to determine that the application is still pending and has not been rejected.

Comment

I just got back from a 2 weeks trip to Cancun, Mexico. I flew southwest to and fro.

Flying out, I only had to present my Nigerian passport, expired green card and 18month extension letter at the bag check kiosk to obtain my boarding pass. when I got to Mexico, I presented the same documents at customs. No issues at all.

Flying back to Chicago, I again, presented my Nigerian passport, expired green card and 18month extension letter at the bag check kiosk to obtain my boarding pass. When I got to the US, I presented the same docs at customs and I got through like every other person. No second inspections. The customs officer just asked how long was the trip.

Hopefully, this will help alleviate some fears around traveling with expired greencard.

Chicago
            04/11/19 : Priority Date (i130, i130A, i145, i765, i864, i693 l USC spouse)
            05/13/19 : Biometrics
            05/15/19 : Case Ready to Be Scheduled for Interview
            08/16/19 : EAD Card is being produced.
            08/20/19 : We Scheduled an interview
            08/21/19 : EAD approval and Card in hand
            09/30/19 : Interview
            09/30/19 : New Card is in Production (I485)

Comment

My husbands GC expired august 2020, we renewed February 2021. He received his extension letter a month later, and has yet to receive his GC. Getting through to immigration is horrible and they aren’t doing “non emergency” appointments due to COVID. We have something going on and have to fly to Mexico. At this point the extension letter has expired, does anyone know if crossing back will be an issue? Will we have to pay a fee to check the status?

Comment

Originally posted by azafra1022 View Post
                My husbands GC expired august 2020, we renewed February 2021. He received his extension letter a month later, and has yet to receive his GC. Getting through to immigration is horrible and they aren’t doing “non emergency” appointments due to COVID. We have something going on and have to fly to Mexico. At this point the extension letter has expired, does anyone know if crossing back will be an issue? Will we have to pay a fee to check the status?
                He should make an appointment at a local USCIS office to get an I-551 stamp. Are you saying that he tried to do that but was unable to make an appointment?

He would probably be able to cross back to the US at a land border crossing, although he would probably be detained for a while while they verify his status. If it was an expired 10-year green card, technically the US allows airlines to fly him to the US, but I doubt any airlines will be willing to do it.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                X