AOS interview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AOS interview

I just got my FP done for the second time 2 weeks ago and today I got a letter from the local CIS office asking me to come in for the interview. So far so good because I have been waiting for a long time for that interview, but I do have a couple of questions and was hoping someone here can help me out.

Quick background - My AOS was applied in the employment-based category and about 10 months after the I-485 receipt date the company dissolved for financial issues and I was laid off. Since then I found subsequent employment and am currently working in the same field in an identical role with an almost identical company. But, a) my current salary is about 15% higher and b) I was unemployed for 12 months before I found this job. The last time I consulted a lawyer (a 20-yr old kid referred by AILA) she told me that I have to get paid the same salary and that because I was unemployed for a while I was automatically out of status and that may be an issue during the interview.

So here's what I am struggling with:

1) The AOS notice asks me to bring a letter of employment stating salary and I am wondering if I should approach my current employer and offer to take a pay cut so that salary doesn't become an issue. Should I? I just find it hard to believe that CIS would expect people to get paid the exact same salary for 3 years but hey, what do I know.

2) At the time of the layoff my previous employer's lawyers had explained that AOS pending is a valid status and loss of employment, particularly since the company was dissolved, would not affect my case. But then the little kid with the fresh law degree told me that I was out of status and freaked me out big time. Is it still true now that I am gainfully employed?

3) In the interview notice it asks me to bring, among other documents, 3 years of Federal tax returns (which I have) "and proof of USC or LPR status" (which I have no idea whether I have or not because I don't know what they are.) How can I prove I have USC or LPR status and what are they?

4) The most fundamental question I suppose -- Do I need to bring a lawyer with me to the interview? My current employer does not provide immigration assistance so I have to get a lawyer myself if that's the case and for a number of reasons I am reluctant to go back to the one I had spoken to previously. Would I be seriously jeopardizing my chances were I to show up for the interview alone?

I feel a bit out of my element here. Can anyone help? Please?

other forums

Hi,

While waiting for other responses here, you may also want to seek a response for your question elsewhere.
    Good luck,
    Joe

---
    Last edited by Guest; 09-28-2005, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Re: oops

No problem.

Here's an update/answer on #3 above in case someone else needs this information as well:

The USC (US citizen) or LPR (lawful permanent resident) status is needed in addition to W2s and tax returns for all those sponsoring someone in certain employement-vased immigration categories only. If you work for a relative or work for a company where your relatives own more than 5% of the company then CIS requires your sponsor to provide proof of financial support and when you get called in for the interview you have to bring all those documents with you. This doesn't apply in my case so I am not sure why that box was checked in the letter but it looks like a standard form so maybe that's why.
      Last edited by Guest; 09-28-2005, 01:59 PM.

Comment

complicated

This whole employment-based immigration thing makes marriage-based immigration look simple, I think.

Joe

Comment

Re: complicated

It sure does. I am beginning to think I should have just gotten married to that guy at the grocery store when he offered ... so what if he looked like he already had a wife and several girlfriends on the side! I am kidding of course. Well, kidding about wishing that I had accepted that proposal that is. Hey, thanks for all the links. I posted on one of the sites you recommended and got some great feedback. Good luck on your case too!

Comment

Re: complicated

lol

You're welcome and thanks!

Joe

Comment

AOS Interview

Can you tell

where did you file your 485 and receipt date?

Kandav

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X