I-485 employment based and I-485 Family based which one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-485 employment based and I-485 Family based which one

i was born in the philippines and married and filed for I-485 on 2000. My mom is american citizen. My I-130 is approved with receipt date of 1999. Until now i still do not have my greencards. I am on legal status until now. I am wondering whether the I-485 employment based is faster than family based.

Re: I-485 employment based and I-485 Family based which one

There are quite some backlogs. The Priority Date for Family Category 3, married sons and daughters of citizens, currently is March 1990 for people from the Philippines (see the current visa bulletin at travel.state.gov/visa_bulletin.html).
    That means that your I-485 was filed way too early. Only people who's I-130 was approved on or before March 1990 can actually file an I-485.
    So you have a waiting time of another 9 years in front of you.
    Employment-based I-485s are usually processed in 2 years or so (provided you already have an approved LC and/or I-140). I guess that makes the choice obvious.

Comment

Could I apply for citizenship when i am in the USA for 5 years since i am in legal status here in the USA??

Comment

No

You need to have the GC for 5 years before you can apply for citizenship.
        Living here in a non-immigrant status doesn't matter.

Comment

I do not quite agree that the approval of family based I-485 will be based on the priority date of I-130. If it has to follow the priority date for I-130 then it does not matter anymore to file for I-485 if you are already in the USA. I-485 is for people already in the USA. When we were interviwed we were not told anything like that by the BCIS officer. We were told during our interview that the approval of all I-485 will be on hold due to 9/11 incidence, and been congratulated by the officer because our case is approvable. Immigration laws is really very complex and always open for debate. Technically speaking, they cannot follow the priority date of our I-130 if it will take 9 years due to backlog. What they gonna do if the main applicant died accidentally??The dependents will be deported back to their country right??This is technically wrong.

Comment

Re: Re: I-485 employment based and I-485 Family based which

"I do not quite agree that the approval of family based I-485 will be based on the priority date of I-130."

If you agree with that is irrelevant.
            The law is what decides that. And the law states that there is a quota for immigration applications. That means that each year, only a certain number of immigrants can get approved.
            Since there are many more applications than the allowed number, backlogs exist.
            You can see the current backlogs in the Visa Bulletin, issued each month by the Department of State at travel.state.gov/visa_bulletin.html

"We were told during our interview that the approval of all I-485 will be on hold due to 9/11 incidence"

Huh? A lot of I-485s have been approved since then...

"What they gonna do if the main applicant died accidentally??The dependents will be deported back to their country right??"

That is exactly what would happen. It is not "technically wrong." It is the law. Period. End of story.

You are right, immigration law is difficult, and you have a lot to learn about it...
            The law is online on the CIS website. You can look up the yearly quota and learn about the process yourself. You will see that I am right...
            For example, INA 203(a)(3), defining Family Category 3:
            "(3) Married sons and married daughters of citizens. - Qualified immigrants who are the married sons or married daughters of citizens of the United States shall be allocated visas in a number not to exceed 23,400, plus any visas not required for the classes specified in paragraphs (1) and (2)."

Comment

Dear Joe,

You are really good with this immigration law stuff...

Are you an immig. lawyer? If so, is there some way to retain your law firm for my immigration process?
              You sound way smarter and better than my dumb **** lawyer who knows nothing...

Thanks.

Comment

"Are you an immig. lawyer?"

Nope. I am just a lay person who has an interest in these things...
                I am a software engineer, and I at first had a bad lawyer as well. I fired her, got a new, much better lawyer, and then I decided that I better learn about this stuff to avoid any more such costly mistakes...

Comment

You know what???In this country if you have connection your application gets approve faster too. For example if you know somebody in the government such as congressman or state representative. Another is if you have a lawyer who can follow up your case and fight for you. You can get more priority than those who does not have any lawyer or know somebody in the government. This is irreputable fact.....Am I Right???
                  I just happen to know someone who is a state representative who is following up my case.

Comment

"For example if you know somebody in the government such as congressman or state representative. Another is if you have a lawyer who can follow up your case and fight for you. You can get more priority than those who does not have any lawyer or know somebody in the government. This is irreputable fact.....Am I Right???"

No. If cases take longer than usual, anybody can go to their local Congressperson and ask them to inquire at CIS. Lots of people do that. Congresspeople are elected to serve their communities.
                    I guess you have to learn a bit about how democracy works in the US...

Lawyers can also only work within the laws. There are good reasons to pay for a lawyer. They are the professionals. You don't repair your car engine yourself, either, do you? But apparently you think you can file an immigrant petition yourself... Maybe you made some mistake? People pay lawyers to avoid making mistakes... And in fact, you seem to have made the mistake of believing what somebody at CIS told you. If you had looked at this and other boards, people like me would have advised you to never believe what they tell you. I have personally met people who got deported because they believed what an INS official told them. If you want to be sure, always ask a good lawyer.

In your case, if it is a petition in family category 3, as I have to conclude based on your statements here, nobody, not a Congressperson, not a lawyer, can bypass the quota. You just will have to accept that.
                    There is, however, the possibility of a private law, but such laws are usually only introduced in really heartbreaking cases (and they require a lawyer working closely with a Congressperson, anyway.)

Comment

I did mentioned the congress people and people in the government because i know many cases in which those quota becomes non sense for people with connection. I will give you one example...

1. Theres this a princess in 1 country that got married to a US service man to escape her country. She got her greencard within 1 year. I know someone here married to a US citizen and its been 4 years still cannot get her greencard.

It takes only a matter of phone call to have a VISA if you have a right connection. Do you think that somebody in the INS will make a noise if one VISA is granted to 1 foreigner because of connection??Not right?In this country it do not always follow the book, some country does. that IRAQI doctor who help Jessica Lynch get rescued is already in the USA with NEW IDENTITY right???The guy who created the MELISSA virus was arrested and jailed but is now working with the FBI as one of their own. If you are a politician in another country and you apply for a greencard in the USA, you will get it so easily. Again.....quota is meaningless here...A NAIL will never get deeper if you do not HAMMER it Right???

Comment

by the way.........My I-130, I-765 and I-485 was filed by myself except for the I-485, they are all approved.....My I-765 been renewed many times without any problem. I have reason to believe the INS officer who interviewed us that our case is approvable he is an honest person. They have responsibility to be honest and should tell applicant if they are not admissible as immigrant. I do not know the experience of others. Going to that 23,000 VISA you mentioned. Who do you think got more priority for the people with third preference, the one in the Philippines or the one in the USA already that is contributing to the ECONOMY OF THE USA and a person with special talent such as with an MBA from London University???Lawyers can hammer the INS with this logical reason right???

Comment

"1. Theres this a princess in 1 country that got married to a US service man to escape her country. She got her greencard within 1 year."

There are NO quotas for immediate relatives of US citizens. A spouse of a US citizen is an immediate relative. So, this is all fully within the law.
                          The other things you mention have to do with asylum. Again, a completely different thing and completely within the law.
                          And the FBI has nothing to do with immigration...

As I said, you have a lot to learn about immigration law...
                          Thanks for making my point...

Comment

"I have reason to believe the INS officer who interviewed us that our case is approvable he is an honest person. They have responsibility to be honest and should tell applicant if they are not admissible as immigrant."
                            Hmm, no. What somebody tells you is absolutely and completely irrelevant. If he gave it to you in writing, then you would have a point.

"Who do you think got more priority for the people with third preference, the one in the Philippines or the one in the USA already that is contributing to the ECONOMY OF THE USA and a person with special talent such as with an MBA from London University???"
                            The qualifications do NOT matter. People in the 3rd family category are just that, even if they had a Nobel Price. This is family-based immigration, not employment-based immigration.
                            And an MBA is nothing special. There are tons of people with an MBA. I know several people with PhDs in Computer Science, Chemistry and Electrical Engineering who had a hard time with their GCs, and a PhD is certainly a higher qualification than an MBA. And finally, to my knowledge, there is no "London University". The two major universities in London are the University of London and Imperial College. I assume you mean University of London, which apparently is sometimes called London University.

"Lawyers can hammer the INS with this logical reason right???"
                            What "logical reasoning"? Better call it "wishful thinking." Such wishful thinking is not in the law.

I am sorry, but you continue to make my point that you have to learn a lot about immigration law.

Comment

JoeF please help

please see my post on this subject and let me knw what you think.
                              Thanks
                              iwanna2008

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X