View Full Version : Regarding Indian Passport Parent Name Correction

09-11-2007, 09:20 PM
Hello Immihelp

First of all a great website and I am very thankful for all the info.

I tried calling Indian Consulate many time but to no effect, but the comprehensive documentation at your website really helped me.

I would like to ask you a question regarding Indian Passport. I know you are a non-lawyer help website only, but I am unable to find the answer of this question form anywhere and I am in real need of it. So if you can help me, it will be great.

Question: I got my passport in India in 2001. In 2003 I came to USA on Student Visa. In 2003 my father also applied for his passport. But he put a different spelling (in English) of his name on his passport. I did not realize it till my last visit to India. Then I saw there is a difference in the spelling of my Fatherís name in my passport and his passport. I want to correct the same spelling mistake in my passport. Could you please let me know the procedure for the following? I am planning to invite them to visit USA soon but reluctant to start the process because of the same.



09-11-2007, 09:20 PM
You don't really to get it corrected.

If you still want, read http://www.immihelp.com/nri/indianpassport/ (http://www.immihelp.com/nri/indianpassport/)

03-11-2011, 10:40 AM
I too have the same issue.
My DADs name in his passport is "...KAR.." but in my passport it is "...KHAR..."

Please suggest me what needs to be done. Am in USA and i would like to bring my DAD over here. Would this be a problem for Visa?

03-11-2011, 11:51 AM
What should we do for this correction??..

thanks in advance...

06-11-2011, 05:22 AM

My Fathers name is misspelled on my passport , the first letter of my fathers name is missing , hence the Pronunication is different.
It is spelled as "Arachand " instead of "Tarachand" ,This is a clerical error .
I am married , so my spouse's name is important for this time I believe.

I want to apply for U.S Visa , but I think this spelling mistake is going to be a problem . Please let me know what needs to be done

How can I get it corrected , will it take too much of time ?

06-11-2011, 11:26 PM
get same person affidavit


06-29-2011, 10:16 AM
Hi folks,

I am newly applying for a TATKAL passport. I just want a clarification regarding a slight change in the name of my father. My father's name as per SSLC marks card is Raghu but his name was changed to Raghavan after few years of my school completion. I also have affidavit for the name change. Can somebody let me know what I am supposed to do in this situation as the name of my father is differently spelled in two important documents. As per my SSLC marks card the name is spelled as RAGHU and in the PAN card it is spelled as RAGHAVAN. Please help............... It is very urgent.

09-22-2013, 12:18 PM
Hi all,

I would like to apply the visitor visa for my parents, but my parents last name in my passport is misspelled, could you please let me know if this needs to be corrected in my passport before I let my parents attend visa interview in hyderabad?

My parents Last name in my passport: Goty
My parents Last Name in their passport: Gooty


12-21-2013, 12:42 PM
Dear all
Please help me out in this problem.

I'm applying for US visa for parents, my father name got misspelled in the passport,
In all his original documens and in my passport, his name is "iyem" but in passport it's "iyam".
I don't have time to change name in passport because I have reserved the air tickets.
They will come here for a short trip of 45 days
Planning to schedule a visa appointment next week, will it be a big problem?
What can be done at this situation??
Kindly share your expertise and help me.
Thank you very much in advance.

11-29-2014, 03:04 AM
In my passport and in my birth certificate the name of my mother is "AAA BBB"(the surname BBB mentioned is her surname before marriage), but in other documents of my mother, the name is mentioned as "AAA CCC"(the surname CCC is her surname after marriage).

Now we are thinking to take passport for my mother, which name we need to mention. As all her documents to be submitted as proofs has name as "AAA CCC". If she takes passport with that name, then it contradicts with the name mentioned in my passport "AAA BBB".

Do i need to correct my passport and birth certificate? If we need to correct the mother's name in passport in USA, whats the procedure, please suggest, your help is highly appreciated.

01-04-2015, 04:33 AM

My daughter is 3 years Old and i applied passport (02/01/2015) for her with birth certificate. She born in Maharashtra. As per the Maharashtra rule Father Full Name: First Name + Middle Name + Last Name in her birth certificate.

I applied passport in Telangana - Her Name: First Name + Last Name and Father: First Name + Last Name

But the passport people re-corrected the father name as Birth Certificate that is First Name + Middle Name + Last Name.

Issue is:

In my passport: My Name: First Name + Last Name
Father Name: First Name + Last Name

How i need to change my daughter's passport as Father Name as First Name + Last Name Only ( I need to remove Middle Name).

Can any one help me. Is there any possibilities to make correction before delivered the passport.

06-11-2015, 12:59 AM
Hi All,

I have a query regarding my fathers passport.We want to renew his passport which was expired years ago.

My Father got his passport(hand written) in early 80's which had wrong spelling of his first name, but he used it that time and later we didnít changed/renewed it .

(Correct Name : ABCDEDF In Passport : ABCDEF)

All his ID Cards have the correct spelling, only passport is having wrong one

But know when we have to renew/reapply it will there be any problems? or further documentation will be needed?

Please suggest.

Thanks in Advance

08-17-2015, 09:29 AM
recently i have applied for passport.
my birth certificate have father's name as "laxmanrao" and all rest of the documents of my fathers and mine have "laxman".
I wrote in application as laxman but they told me to change it as per birth certificate. so changed it to Laxmanrao.
I showed them all my documents but they refused to write it as "LAXMAN". they changed it to "LAXMANRAO" as per my birth certificate
Will it create any problem in future for applying VISA???

If yes then what should i do to avoide it???