Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employment question for family based immigration

Hi,
    I have citizenship interview in May 2001. My father would like to migrate to US for business/work.
    1. When is the earliest I can apply for green card for him ? Is it the day of my interview or day of my oath or later?
    2. Once I have applied, when and how can my father work legally in the US ? What is the procedure?
    Thanks in advance for your replies.

employment question

You should prepare all the necessary documents before hand, get the photos(greencard) from your father, and etc at which point you would have to copy your citizenship cert, sign the docs and send them to INS. You get the cert during the oath, so right after the oath find a copy machine.
    Your application has to be approved, then be sent to NVC and eventually to the US consulate in your country who will issue a immigrant visa for your father. When he comes here he can start working just with the stamp(I-551) in his passport which he will at the port of entry into the US.
    Just don't leave any loose ends in the forms or applications which would cause unnecessary delays that would make you come back to this board. GOOD LUCK with your citizenship and your father's immigrant visa

Comment

Re: employment question

Thanks for your quick reply. My father is already in US on visitor visa. Will he have to go back to India to get his green card or can he get the employment stamp while he is here? How long does it take to get his application approved? What needs to happen before he can get his work permit? How long does that take? Thanks again in advance for your reply.

Comment

employment question

INS could be suspicious about the case you have since your father is already here on a visitor visa. If you were to apply for his immigrant visa INS might doubt your intentions of bringing your father on a visitor visa which could jeopardize your goal altogether.
        So investigate all options further before taking any step. Consult a lawyer if possible. Or you can look for more replies from members of the board.
        If time is not a concern just apply for CP. I-130 takes around 6-8months. After that it should 3-4 months for the CP if everything was going right. These approximate timings are for immediate relatives and could vary sometimes and as INS put it to me once "LUCK " also play's it's part.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X