View Full Version : mother is Permanenet, can she apply for county medical assistance program(map card)

07-11-2010, 09:01 PM

My mother is permanent resident since 2008 Nov, sponsored by my brother. She is living with me, i am working on H1, and GC is pending. She has medical issue, no insurance now, doctor suggested few medical tests to diagnose. I was looking for some help from women wellness program, found that country medical assistance program for low income people. My mother is not working I am just supporting her.
Can she apply for medical assistance program (map card) from county?
Can i tell to county officer that I am supporting her?

Please advise.


07-11-2010, 10:24 PM

Read http://www.immihelp.com/affidavit-of-support/sponsor-responsibilities-obligations.html

If your brother's income is that low, he can't qualify to sponsor her. If it is good enough to sponsor her, she can't qualify for such programs.

Remember, your brother's income is counted as her income because he sponsored her.

07-11-2010, 10:55 PM

thanks for reply.

I have read this from fact sheet at USCIS site. According to this taking help from medcial clinics is not public charge. I am confused.

Benefits Not Subject to Public Charge ConsiderationUnder the agency guidance, non-cash benefits and special-purpose cash benefits that are not intended for income maintenance are not subject to public charge consideration. Such benefits include:

Medicaid and other health insurance and health services (including public assistance for immunizations and for testing and treatment of symptoms of communicable diseases, use of health clinics, short-term rehabilitation services, prenatal care, and emergency medical services) other than support for long-term institutional care

07-12-2010, 08:21 AM
please if anybody used county medical assistence program, please advise me.


07-12-2010, 03:10 PM
update from me,

My mom is not eligible to get medical assitance program which cover 100% coverage.

But she is eligible to get sliding fee service. which give some discount on medical expenses.

The communicare lady who approved it told me that its not become an issue to immigration and get citizenship.


07-12-2010, 04:27 PM
So now a days 'The communicare lady' is giving immigration law advice!

I suggest that you contact an immigration attorney to be sure.

07-12-2010, 06:37 PM
She said many people asked same question who is taking medical assistance from county. She confirmed that assistence she is approving is not public charge.

I will find with attorney.


07-13-2010, 05:25 AM
My mom is also recieving county medical insurance. She just had a recent surgery covered under that. Well i am not sure if public charges apply or not. But if the i864 has expired then you can apply for county's medical assistance programme. Earlier I864's had 3 years validity..it is now that they have validity till the gc holder becomes US citizen...so sponsors are held responsible till gc holder will be a uS citizn.

Well you can still check with the immigration person.. Actually i am also a applicant under f2b category..and this has been my question for a while.


07-13-2010, 05:31 AM
Please also note that the below are the excerpts from I864

Receipt of means-tested public benefits does notdisqualify anyone from being a sponsor. However, means-tested public benefits cannot be accepted as income for thepurposes of meeting the income requirement.