View Full Version : Applying under F 4...need help

07-13-2010, 03:28 AM

My hubby's brother is a US citizen and is applying for our green card this month. We have followed the procedure and sent him the documents from India. A few questions which infact he too is pondering about and someone here can help:

Which place to apply the same in US?
Should we seek a lawyer for this?
Once we pay the fees and the forms with the documents, what is the next step?
What kind of confirmation will we receive?
Is there a special tracker code that would be given to us which will help us check on the progress?


07-13-2010, 02:12 PM
He will apply to the immigration office under which jurisdiction that he falls under based on his residence. For e.g. If he lived in New York he will apply in Vermont... Dallas would be in Texas and like wise. So the country is divided into 4 different offcices.

If you brother has done sufficient home work and also is a frequent reader of these immigration forums, I do not believe he may need an attorney.

He will recieve recipts at ever step of the way (not you but him / his atorney if he chooses to appoint one).

There are specfic case numbers / A numbers at various stages of the process.. sadly there is no SINGLE NUMBER to track the entire process.

Please read the following link to educate yourself