Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA : Income Tax returns for 2009-2010

Dear All,

I was in USA for a very short period, i.e. for only May & June 2009. During that period I had paid good amount of tax under various heads as mentioned below. Please let me know out of them which all can I claim in IT returns for this financial year.

1. Federal Income Tax.
    2. Social Security Tax.
    3. Medicare Tax.
    4. CA State Income Tax.
    5. CA SUI/SDI Tax.

Also please let me know what does Medicare Tax mean.

Thanks in advance,
    with Best Regards,

Rajesh.

You can not claim any of that back.
    Immihelp Support
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

USA : Income Tax returns for 2009-2010

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I have one query, Please resolve it.

In India we have Income Tax exemption upto certain limit, say upto income of 1.5Lakhs no tax will be charged, doesnt US have any such concept ? Because I was supposed to be in US for a long period but unfortunately my Employer called me back in a month period & around 40% of my month salary was deducted as tax under below mentioned heads ...

Comment

When you file your tax returns, there is an individual and family personal exemption and standard deduction over the gross income. Look them up. If you stayed in US for less than 180 days, you are not even considered a resident for tax purposes. Read more on the internet.

Standard Deductions
        Single: $5,700
        Head of Household: $8,350
        Married Filing Joint: $11,400
        Married Filing Separately: $5,700
        Qualifying Widow/Widower: $11,400
        Dependent: $950-$5,700*
        Additional Amount if Blind: $1,100 (for married filing joint, married filing separately, or qualifying widow); $1,400 (for single and head of household)
        Additional Amount if age 65 or older: $1,100 (for married filing joint, married filing separately, or qualifying widow); $1,400 (for single and head of household).
        More information about the standard deduction.
        * Dependents must calculate their standard deduction using an IRS Worksheet.
        Personal Exemptions
        Per taxpayer and dependent: $3,650
        More information about personal exemptions.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

All those amounts still apply to the income tax and not to the payroll tax.

Payroll tax is gone no matter what.
          Immihelp Support
          No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

SSN, Medicare/FICA cannot be claimed back in most cases also referred to as payroll taxes. If your total income is below the standard deduction plus personal exemption, you could possibly get the entire amount paid as federal taxes back.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

USA : Income Tax returns for 2009-2010

Hi all,

Thanks for all your important comments..It will help me a lot. I will be filing the US Tax returns for the first time, hope the form is simple enough to understand for a layman like me.

Thanks & Regards,
              Rajesh

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X