Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to use US debit or credit cards in India.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to use US debit or credit cards in India.........

I'm planning a trip to India, and I've learnt from my bank that they will be charging 3-5% on every transanction done in India with my US atm cards.

Other than carrying US cards or big lumpsum money in pocket while shoppings, can anybody tell me whats the best way to get some kind of INdian atm card immediately or any idea about travellers cards.........

Call your bank, a credit card might be a better option than a debit card in foreign countries. Especially when it comes to safety reasons and preventing unwanted purchases.

Comment

Check with Citibank

Comment

Most U.S. credit cards charge 3% foreign transaction fee as well, even in Canada.

Citibank gives Maestro debit card. Not Mastercard or Visa card which can work as credit card also, even though it is a debit card.

And most vendors in India do not know how to swipe the debit card. They don't know that, in addition to swiping the card, you have to enter the PIN number also. They will simply tell you that the card is not working.

When you tell that it is a debit card and PIN number must be entered, they will ask your PIN. When you tell them it can't be given like that, and when you go to the machine to enter, three people will be staring at the machine to see what you are doing. All of them may not have bad intentions, but they may simply be curious. However, it makes you nervous.

Moreover, some of the vendors may not have the capability to swipe Maestro card. They can only swipe Mastercard or Visa card. Some of those vendors may have an additional machine that can swipe Maestro card but they may not be using it regularly and therefore it may not necessarily be in a working condition. They take it out of the closet, try to connect it, try to fix it, try to call the customer service of that machine provider and you are standing there watching all this drama.

All of that makes it a too much of hassle every time, trying to educate every vendor out there.

And yes, I am talking about a major metro city and not some small village.

If anyone has any experience getting an Indian credit card easily while sitting in the U.S., and without having to make a personal trip to a branch in India, that would be helpful to know.
        Immihelp Support
        No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X