My 401K and HSA Balance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 401K and HSA Balance

Hi, I have moved back to India in 2017 after living in USA for 16 years and living in India since then. I am also working in India for a reputed conglomerate.

I did let my Green Card lapse and no intention to go back to USA. My son is a US citizen and may go to USA for further studies in few years.

I have USD 300K parked in 401K and 0K parked in HAS account in USA. Both the accounts doing well in terms of investment and has made handsome returns.

I am at age of 45 and hope this accounts to double or grow sizable in next 15-20 years.

Below are my questions

1) Can I claim my 401K at the age of withdrawal in USA (I think it is 67 years now)
    2) Can I claim my HSA at the age of 65?

At present I have not informed these accounts that I have moved to India and it is still holding my residence address as US address of my friend.

What are the implications and what are the best options?

I am in same situation...pls let us know

Comment

What you should have done before returning to India: - As soon as you left your job, you convert this 401k into an IRA. This way you can take full control of it and not have to worry about additional fund fees since you are no longer an employee. Rollover also allows you access to more index funds / ETF's etc.

Your option now: Call (or go online) and see if the investment company allows you to add a foreign address for correspondence.

1) Can I claim my 401K at the age of withdrawal in USA (I think it is 67 years now)
      401K distributions can start at the age of 59.5yrs. When you get to this stage, consult a competent tax attorney to understand your tax implications to the US government since these funds are taxable. You will also need to file taxes every year once you start receiving distributions. You will use the same social security number as it never expires.

2) Can I claim my HSA at the age of 65?
      Yes.
      Opinion only. Cannot be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X