OCI for parents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCI for parents

I hope someone can help. My wife and I are OCI card holders and are retiring to India. I have a 90-year old widowed mother who has Tanzanian passport (and has Alzheimer's disease). Her grandparents were from India (we have no documentation to prove it) but her parents were also born in Africa. I do not wish to leave my Mom in the US (she has a green card). Can I apply for an OCI for her based on my OCI? Appreciate any information/guidance from this forum!

FYI - The dominant reason for moving to India is to provide a better quality of life for her.

I got an OCI because my wife's father was an Indian citizen. My parents were Tanzanians'.

This is going to be a tough case. You will need to show proof that her grandparents were indian citizens. One way is to show land ownership records from India, birth certificate etc that has been attested by an Indian magistrate.
    The below from the MEA website may benefit your mother: (https://www.mha.gov.in/PDF_Other/FAQ...I_25042017.pdf)
    Who was eligible to become Citizen of India on 26.01.1950?
    Any person who, or either of whose parents or any of whose grandparents was born in India as defined in the Government of India Act, 1935 (as originally enacted), and who was ordinarily residing in any country outside India was eligible to become citizen of India on 26.01.1950.
    Opinion only. Cannot be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X