Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian Citizenship and Passport for US Born baby to Indian Parents

Hi,

I am an Indian Citizen working with H1B Visa in US. My wife is on H4 Visa. We do not have any intention to settle / stay back here in USA permanently.

We are expecting a baby in the month of October 2011. I want my child to have an Indian citizenship. Please let me know how I can get Indian citizenship for a baby born in USA.
    Request you to answer my following five questions:

1. Can we get an Indian passport for the baby if he/she is born in the US or only US Passport?
    2. If we can get Indian passport, does he/she need to obtain a visa for our rest our stay in US?
    3. If we can get only US Passport, shall I provide the Indian address as permanent address in the US passport application?
    4. If a child has Indian Passport with the place of birth in USA in the passport will there be any immigration issues in USA.
    5. If a child has Indian Passport, is he or she an Indian citizen?

I am totally confused and worried about the next steps. Request your advice and suggestions.

Thank you in advance.

Info

Hi,

some answers for your questions.

Babies born in usa are citizens of usa. you need to get a us passport and apply for a pio(person of indian origin) card which has a validy of 15 years. What PIO does is that your child does not need a seperate visa to visit India and for every trip the PIO will allow you to stay for 6 months and i believe for more than 6 months stay, you have to report that to the local authorities about staying further.

baby will be a us citizen and will be treated as NRI when you move back to India. at 18 years of age, he/she will have the choice of renouncing the us citizenship, then they will be considered Indian citizens.

us passport for minors have a validity of 5 years and need to be renewed every 5 years.

when you get us passport, you need to give your current us residential address. you can not give indian address.

hope this answers some of the questions.

Regards

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X