I-94 Extension after passport renewal at mexico border near Sandiego

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with this situation

Do you have any update with your wife's situation. Did you get extended her I94 with old stamping? Can you please respond. I am in the same situation planning to go this weekend.

Originally posted by abhabra View Post
    Hello Guys,

I am in a similar situation as most of you.
    My wife's i94 expires in Aug 2018. The VISA stamp is from company A.
    She had her latest i797A, from company B, valid until Feb 2020.

Her passport got renewed last month and we want to get her i94 extended.

1. Does the change of employer and i797A from new employer work with the method of extension discussed in this forum?

2. Looks like most have had success with San Diego facility for extension. Does anyone know of or have had similar experience for Texas facility?

We stay in Indiana, so this is closer.

Any help is appreciated.

Comment

Great Experience of I-94 renewal at San Ysidro Port of Entry

Hi All,

Thanks a lot for sharing the details & experiences of getting I-94 renewal at San Ysidro Port of Entry. It was really helpful & encouraging that I planned to do it rather than flying out to Cabo or Mexico city which were my alternatives. I visited yesterday (24 Nov 2018) and got it renewed within ~1.5 hrs to total time including border crossing.. (yes including being physically in Mexico !!!). I was there for my son's I-94 renewal/update as it had Sep 2018 expiry date (same as passport expiry date) while his US VISA is valid till 2020. Sharing more details as it might help others.

Parking was easy as there are many outlet parking areas (free parking.. 5 min walk) and also paid parking lots as well (2-3 min walk). Arrived around 1.45 pm (Thanksgiving weekend) and had to wait for 15 min as there was a break time with shift changing. Once in the room (look for I94 extension/renewal office next to sign of "San Ysidro Port of Entry) and spoke to CBP officer who asked if we already crossed the border and we politely asked if we really need to do that ? (as after reading the posts below, I was convinced that we will not need to do that). He suggested to go through the border & touch Mexico and come back into USA to remain compliant. We eventually walked into "To Mexico" passage and we were in Mexico in next 2 min!! No checks required, no forms filled and no stamps etc. Sooner we exited the Mexico immigration (total 5-6 min from our entry point), there is whole new world of Tijuana. Without wasting any time, we simply took the bridge going back for entry into USA. There was a queue here and we spent 30-45 min here till we were back at US immigration counter.

Shared CBP officer our purpose of touching Mexico and we need my son's new passport to be stamped & get new I-94 issued. He was polite and very helpful. Did immigration for all 3 of us.. again no stamps on passports (and no update to our travel history at I-94 portal) and he walked us back to same I-94 renewal/extension office where we started the journey. It was straight forward there.. paid $6, waited for another 5-10 min for our turn. They took biometrics for my son, stamped new passport with stay validity till 2020 and issued a physical (printed) I-94 will all the details... name, DOB, validity, Visa type except passport number. I checked if new passport number could be added to I-94 and I was informed that there is no provision for them to update/add it as they look for VISA details rather than passport. Checked I-94 website and the latest I-94 is available there too. We were out of CBP office with new I-94 by 3.30 pm. Very good experience though try to see if CBP officer could make an exemption for you to cross the border and re-enter.

- ashu

Comment

Originally posted by Ashu@ View Post
        Hi All,

Thanks a lot for sharing the details & experiences of getting I-94 renewal at San Ysidro Port of Entry. It was really helpful & encouraging that I planned to do it rather than flying out to Cabo or Mexico city which were my alternatives. I visited yesterday (24 Nov 2018) and got it renewed within ~1.5 hrs to total time including border crossing.. (yes including being physically in Mexico !!!). I was there for my son's I-94 renewal/update as it had Sep 2018 expiry date (same as passport expiry date) while his US VISA is valid till 2020. Sharing more details as it might help others.

Parking was easy as there are many outlet parking areas (free parking.. 5 min walk) and also paid parking lots as well (2-3 min walk). Arrived around 1.45 pm (Thanksgiving weekend) and had to wait for 15 min as there was a break time with shift changing. Once in the room (look for I94 extension/renewal office next to sign of "San Ysidro Port of Entry) and spoke to CBP officer who asked if we already crossed the border and we politely asked if we really need to do that ? (as after reading the posts below, I was convinced that we will not need to do that). He suggested to go through the border & touch Mexico and come back into USA to remain compliant. We eventually walked into "To Mexico" passage and we were in Mexico in next 2 min!! No checks required, no forms filled and no stamps etc. Sooner we exited the Mexico immigration (total 5-6 min from our entry point), there is whole new world of Tijuana. Without wasting any time, we simply took the bridge going back for entry into USA. There was a queue here and we spent 30-45 min here till we were back at US immigration counter.

Shared CBP officer our purpose of touching Mexico and we need my son's new passport to be stamped & get new I-94 issued. He was polite and very helpful. Did immigration for all 3 of us.. again no stamps on passports (and no update to our travel history at I-94 portal) and he walked us back to same I-94 renewal/extension office where we started the journey. It was straight forward there.. paid $6, waited for another 5-10 min for our turn. They took biometrics for my son, stamped new passport with stay validity till 2020 and issued a physical (printed) I-94 will all the details... name, DOB, validity, Visa type except passport number. I checked if new passport number could be added to I-94 and I was informed that there is no provision for them to update/add it as they look for VISA details rather than passport. Checked I-94 website and the latest I-94 is available there too. We were out of CBP office with new I-94 by 3.30 pm. Very good experience though try to see if CBP officer could make an exemption for you to cross the border and re-enter.

- ashu
        San Ysidro border was closed this Sunday as per news. Anyone traveled/traveling this week to the POE for I94 extension? I was planning for going to San Diego to get my daughter's I94 extended. But now I am wondering if I would face issues here and go to Canada instead?

Comment

Originally posted by svsg View Post
          San Ysidro border was closed this Sunday as per news. Anyone traveled/traveling this week to the POE for I94 extension? I was planning for going to San Diego to get my daughter's I94 extended. But now I am wondering if I would face issues here and go to Canada instead?
          I went to San Ysidro this Saturday, Dec 1st. I faced no issue and got the job done in an hour, all inclusive. The officer only stamped the old passport. When I asked about the new passport, he said that since Visa is in old passport, that is the usual practice.

My advice is to not waste time in trying to get the stamp without crossing border, as there is no big complication in crossing the border. The officers I met were friendly.

Comment

I-94. extension for Son

Hi,
            My sons password is getting renewed and I need to extend his I-94 status. Does he need to come along with me to the San Diego port of entry for the renewal or I can do it on his behalf.

Comment

Originally posted by sfcity View Post
              Hi,
              My sons password is getting renewed and I need to extend his I-94 status. Does he need to come along with me to the San Diego port of entry for the renewal or I can do it on his behalf.
              More than Likely yes
              This is strictly an opinion and should not be misconstrued as legal advice. The use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

-Krypton9591

Comment

Originally posted by vidasum15962 View Post
                I have similar situation as other people in this forum. My I-94 expires in Aug 2018 and my H1B will expire in Feb 2019. I got my new passport, old passport, a document of address in CA and went to Otay Mesa, California land of port. I use the address "2500 Paseo Internacional San Diego, CA 92143" in google. You can park in the plaza and pay for the parking. It's $2 for one hour and you get one hour free.
                At first, I did some research and found it could be possible to get I94 extended in SENTRI enrollment center without going to cross the border. But when I talked to the officer in SENTRI, they directed me to the other building right next to SENTRI. That building is the land of port. When you entered the land of port from US side, you'll easily identified a notice with I-94 in Spanish. Follow the direction, you'll have to pay the $6 fee and wait in line to get into a room tagged "I-94 permission". I arrived around 4PM on Friday. It took me 30 minutes in the waiting line. Not bad. In the room, there were 4 officers to process the issues with I-94. They are pretty familiar with the extension of I-94 due to passport expiry. So, without asking too many questions, the officer gave me an updated I-94 in a paper indexed to my old passport. I also checked online. My i-94 was updated accordingly. Hope the above will help. Otay Mesa land of port is another option to extend I-94 in San Diego.
                Thank you for this post. It helped. Just one question, when the I94 gets extended what does it show online ; the old passport number or the new passport number?

Comment

I-94 extension

Anyone going to San Ysidro POE in next few days?.I am planning to go on 12thJan retun the same day from Indiana.

Comment

I-94 Extension after passport renewal at mexico border near San Diego

Hi All,

My L1A Visa is valid till Oct 2019 and my I-94 is valid till April 30th 2019 which was matched with my old passport valid date. Now that I got my passport renewed, I am planning to visit San Diego border. Few questions as listed below:
                    1. My I-94 is valid till April 30th 2019 which is around 90 days from now. Will they agree to extend my I-94 if I visit CBP next week? Is there any time frame such as not before 60 days or something?
                    2. I am on L1A blanket petition. Is there any concern for I-94 extension?
                    3. Reading through the responses, I do not need Mexico visa. Hope this is correct.
                    4. I work in Minneapolis. Hope this should not matter to them.
                    5. The I-94 extension is applicable to my wife and son as well. They have the same date on their I-94. I will be taking them along with me. So in total it is an extension for 3 of us ($18).

Many thanks in advance.
                    Girish

Comment

Originally posted by girishramagiri View Post
                      I-94 Extension after passport renewal at mexico border near San Diego

Hi All,

My L1A Visa is valid till Oct 2019 and my I-94 is valid till April 30th 2019 which was matched with my old passport valid date. Now that I got my passport renewed, I am planning to visit San Diego border. Few questions as listed below:
                      1. My I-94 is valid till April 30th 2019 which is around 90 days from now. Will they agree to extend my I-94 if I visit CBP next week? Is there any time frame such as not before 60 days or something?
                      2. I am on L1A blanket petition. Is there any concern for I-94 extension?
                      3. Reading through the responses, I do not need Mexico visa. Hope this is correct.
                      4. I work in Minneapolis. Hope this should not matter to them.
                      5. The I-94 extension is applicable to my wife and son as well. They have the same date on their I-94. I will be taking them along with me. So in total it is an extension for 3 of us ($18).

Many thanks in advance.
                      Girish
                      Thank you everyone for sharing such a vital information on getting I-94 extension at Otay Mesa, San Diego. Although, our company immigration department warned us not to take this route, the information shared over here boosted our confidence level. And so we reached Otay Mesa on Sunday noon and straight away headed towards I-94 queue. When it was our turn, we mentioned the reason of us being there and handed over Driver License ID, L1A Petition document and Passports. The CBP officer examined all documents, asked basic questions (current residence, petition company), captured our photo and fingerprints. Then he handed over updated I-94 in physical printed format. All in all, it took 30 minutes that included shift change delay. And yes, we did NOT cross the border!! Just before leaving the premises, I checked online I-94 and it was updated with extended dates. Once again thank you all!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                      X