Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Non-immigrant visa 212(d)(3) waiver for F-1 student

My background:

I first came to the US in 2006 on a F-1 visa. Unfortunately I on February 2010 I was arrested in Georgia for:

Possession or ********* less than 1 ounce (it was about 1g)
    Open container of beer
    Minor in Possession of beer.

All three charges were for one incident. And I was 20 years old.

I went through a court appointed pre-trial diversion program because the judge said it would clear me of all charges and would not affect my visa status. I completed all the necessary conditions such as community service work, attending X no. of drug rehabilitation classes, payment of fines and the case was closed.

I graduated with a degree in Engineering in December of 2010 and left the US to be closer to my family and also to get my priorities in order and get a change in environment.

I completed a Masters degree in Singapore and now 3 years later I would like to apply for a F-1 visa for a 2nd graduate degree in the US. I have received my I-20 and admission packet. Also, I will be able to show sufficient proof of financial support and intent to return to my home country upon the completion of my degree.

Spoke to a lawyer today and she advised me to go ahead and schedule my visa interview and go to it. She said to present myself to the officer in the best possible manner and there might be a small chance that the consular will make a recommendation on the spot without requiring a detailed waiver packet and thus saving me lawyer costs. But if the officer refuses, then my lawyer asked me to contact her to prepare an official packet.

Any advice? What is the best way to show that I have changed? I am planning on getting a letter of support of good moral character from a professor that I took masters classes under. Also, another letter from a US citizen that has known me on a personal level for 5 years.

I will be applying for the F-1 visa from the embassy in Singapore.

Thank you.

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X