Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arrested for driving suspended registration because of insurance

Hey,
    I was pulled over by a cop on Mar-02 and I was accused of driving with suspended registration and suspended license. I showed him the active registration, license and active insurance. He looked it up and said, unfortunately
    for some reason my system show that your insurance was cancelled and because of that DMV suspended my registration and license, so I will have to arrest you. The cop took me to the Police Station and took my finger prints and did pictures, and let me go after 2 hours with 2 Misdemenour tickets. I asked DMV to explain and they said that talk to your insurance company. Apparently my insurance company screwed me over since they never submitted the proof of insurance electronically, which they were supposed to. I have received 2 misdemenor tickets with court date on Mar-14. I was super scared about the whole arrest thing and got a lawyer. He said that there is no fault of yours in this, and he is going to file a motion to dismiss the
    charges on the grounds that I had active insurance on the day of the arrest.
    My questions are as follows:
    1. I am currently on my H1B, with GC in progress. Will this affect my GC chances?
    2. Should I talk to my immigration lawyer at the company?
    3. I am also planning to apply for Canada PR, and I know they do extensive background check as well. Will this impact the GC?
    4. I am planning to get a Canada visitor visa renewed. Will this impact anything on that front?
    5. In future if I apply for a job, do I have to let my new employer know about this arrest.

I am very stressed because I had all the necessary documents (active insurance + active registration + active license), and I think there is no fault of my own in all of this?

Originally posted by imba22 View Post
    Hey,
    I was pulled over by a cop on Mar-02 and I was accused of driving with suspended registration and suspended license. I showed him the active registration, license and active insurance. He looked it up and said, unfortunately
    for some reason my system show that your insurance was cancelled and because of that DMV suspended my registration and license, so I will have to arrest you. The cop took me to the Police Station and took my finger prints and did pictures, and let me go after 2 hours with 2 Misdemenour tickets. I asked DMV to explain and they said that talk to your insurance company. Apparently my insurance company screwed me over since they never submitted the proof of insurance electronically, which they were supposed to. I have received 2 misdemenor tickets with court date on Mar-14. I was super scared about the whole arrest thing and got a lawyer. He said that there is no fault of yours in this, and he is going to file a motion to dismiss the
    charges on the grounds that I had active insurance on the day of the arrest.
    My questions are as follows:
    1. I am currently on my H1B, with GC in progress. Will this affect my GC chances?
    2. Should I talk to my immigration lawyer at the company?
    3. I am also planning to apply for Canada PR, and I know they do extensive background check as well. Will this impact the GC?
    4. I am planning to get a Canada visitor visa renewed. Will this impact anything on that front?
    5. In future if I apply for a job, do I have to let my new employer know about this arrest.

I am very stressed because I had all the necessary documents (active insurance + active registration + active license), and I think there is no fault of my own in all of this?
    The summary answer to all your questions: If you get the case dismissed saying no fault of yours, it is not a problem. However, that being said, there is a very high probability that processing might be slowed down, and you will be asked to provide proof of your case dismissal, etc. So be extra mindful of the paper work and preserve the entire paper trail. It definitely is a good idea to get input from your employer's immigration attorneys too.
    Just an opinion; Not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X