Convicted of a crime 20 years ago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convicted of a crime 20 years ago

I am from the UK and was convicted of a crime there over 20 years ago.(obtaining good by deception), but was given a conditional discharge, and paid compensation to the person effected,

I am in the process of applying for a GC through my wife and also have a son born in the USA, Based on my last 20 years of conduct, (never been found guilty of a crime or been in trouble with the police since). OUr immigration lawer has already started to prepare our documents for an I-601.

Is there any chance that the staff at the NVC or consular office will take my family situation into consideration, and that I was not placed in confinement- Also in UK law a "Conditional Discharge" is considered not to be a conviction if the guilty party does not re-offend in 3 years following the original crime.

Any ideas what will happen at the interview???

what are my chances of being approved at this point, without having to apply for a visa waiver.....

Thanks

More than likely, given the outcome of the original crime, and that you paid the restitution to the victim, and with no other convictions, you will probably not need to worry much about it. Just be honest when the question comes up (if it comes up) and you should be fine. The ARCO certificate (police certificate) will show all criminal activity since age 16, so they're likely going to find out about it, so be prepared. Just stay calm, explain it to them exactly as you did on here, and you should have nothing to worry about.

Good luck!!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X