Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impact of shoplifting on naturalization

Hi folks,

I was arrested in Virginia more than 4 yrs ago in a shoplifting case. I pleaded guilty, served the punishment (community service) and recently had my case expunged from public records.

Now I am preparing for my naturalization. If during the interview I am asked if I was ever arrested, can I reply in negative, considering the fact that my record has been wiped clean. Or do I still need to answer yes to the question and risk a denial of my naturalization application.

Thanks all
    Varma Ravi Penmatsa

Originally posted by varmapenmatsa View Post
    Hi folks,

I was arrested in Virginia more than 4 yrs ago in a shoplifting case. I pleaded guilty, served the punishment (community service) and recently had my case expunged from public records.

Now I am preparing for my naturalization. If during the interview I am asked if I was ever arrested, can I reply in negative, considering the fact that my record has been wiped clean. Or do I still need to answer yes to the question and risk a denial of my naturalization application.

Thanks all
    Varma Ravi Penmatsa
    Even if the record is expunged, you will have to disclose it. Denial of citizenship is based on the dollar amount of the theft.

Comment

Expunged doesn't mean it didn't happen

Don't try to conceal, they probably alraedy know about it. There is probably something yourA-file. Thet are just waiting to see how you behave.

You LIE they DENY and you would be precluded from naturalization for five years from they most recent lie. Oh, you could file a hundred times in those five years and they would all be denied.

The actual thing you did would not cause a denial but, it's all in how you handle it.

Be honest,

Bye

Comment

same

I would like to know if u got naturalized, as i have similar case, appreciate ur response..

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X