Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying for F1 Visa while (possibly) being a drug addict

Hello everyone.

So I am an international student on OPT and I need to renew my Visa in my home country (currently in the US).

When filling up the DS-160 form I answered the question "Are you or have you ever been a drug abuser or addict?" with yes and explained.

Before my interview, I discovered my Visa could be rejected for answering "yes" to this question and so I canceled my appointment.

I am currently in the US and wondering what is my best course of action. My therapist says that I qualify as being "in remission" by the DSM so I could potentially get an exception but I am scared.

Is it a good strategy to just fill up another DS-160 and answer "no" to this question? I wonder if the other DS-160 will be looked at since I canceled the interview.

Or should I just answer "yes" and try to argue for my case? I currently have a job and I am afraid that this process might take too long and I might lose my job because of it.

Thank you for any advice.

I don't have personal experience in this area, so I'll have to go by whatever I've read about this topic. I think there are two angles to look at this from:
    - Inadmissibility based on public health grounds. As far as I know, ongoing drug addiction can make you inadmissible as a danger to public health. Fortunately, your addiction is in remission so a letter from your therapist will probably get you covered.
    - Inadmissibility based on criminal history. This is where I'd be a bit more concerned. There are many boneheaded laws governing drug possession everywhere in the world, including in the US. This means that depending on the drugs in question and your individual circumstances, you may or may not have inherently committed a crime or several crimes during the course of your addiction. Even if you have never been arrested or even detained for a drug-related crime, this might come back to bite you when applying for your visa. If I were you, I'd seek advice from an immigration attorney just to be on the safe side.

As far as I can tell, there is nothing to gain (and, in fact, everything to lose) from answering the "Have you ever been an addict?" question with "No". Your best bet is to make your case to the visa officer during the interview rather than trying to conceal your history of addiction. As my signature says, this isn't legal advice, and you'd likely benefit from getting some. I wish you the best of luck!
    The above is my personal opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Given the potential job implications, seeking legal advice promptly is crucial. They can guide you through the process, provide insights into possible timelines, and help you prepare for the interview.

Remember, immigration processes can be complex, and having professional guidance can significantly ease the anxiety. Best of luck with your situation! And on a different note, it's awesome that you're taking proactive steps. By the way, have you considered exploring mindfulness practices to complement your therapy? It can be quite beneficial. Take care!

Also, as a side note, if you ever need a reliable source for your well-being journey, you might find interesting resources like 1D-LSD online to explore new perspectives and approaches.​
      Last edited by ShelHarby; 01-03-2024, 06:48 AM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X