Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outside US for more than 6 months while in AP

Hi All,

I am planning to go to India once I get my EAD/AP combo card which may be sometime in May'17. Since I have a sick parent at home I may need to stay in India for more than 6 months. Is it OK to stay for more than 6 months outside US and come back to US using AP before its expiry date (AP will be valid for an year). Please advise.

Thanks
    Remo

Can anyone please help me on this?

Comment

Originally posted by remous View Post
      Hi All,

I am planning to go to India once I get my EAD/AP combo card which may be sometime in May'17. Since I have a sick parent at home I may need to stay in India for more than 6 months. Is it OK to stay for more than 6 months outside US and come back to US using AP before its expiry date (AP will be valid for an year). Please advise.

Thanks
      Remo

Be very careful if you plan an extended trip outside of the country. Things can happen beyond your control and then you end up being out of the country for more than a year. In which case your Green Card will be considered abandoned. It happened to me. I think we also need to bear in mind that Pres. Trump's policies can change overnight.

Make doubly sure before you travel that all your documents are perfect.
      Not legal advice.

Comment

I agree

Hi All,

Thanks
        Remo
        Do not stay out for that long even though it's for a year. AP usually for short term stay go visit your parents and come back you can spent a month I know ppl who've done that. Maybe you may want to do to trips and spread them apart.
        Good luck

Comment

You don't want to miss your adjustment of status interview

Comment

Hi All,

Thanks
            Remo
            Though it is for a year, it is advisable not to use it all the way up to expiration date. It will look bad on your when you try to enter which might affect your application. People usually go for 1-2 months then come back. If you're outside the country for more than 6 months, it doesn't look too good. You need to take into account of policy change and interview (if you're applying for GC). You didn't stay what you're applying for (H1B?) so I can't say for sure, but whatever application is pending will be affected if you use AP to stay out of the country for that long period of time.

Comment

Thanks lot for all your advise and suggestions. I will then drop the 6 months plan. Is 2 months OK or strictly one month? Also if we take 2 months break in AP, what should we reply at POE when asked whether your trip is for business or pleasure? Please advise.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Minahqq, mine is EB1C

Originally posted by Minahqq View Post
              Though it is for a year, it is advisable not to use it all the way up to expiration date. It will look bad on your when you try to enter which might affect your application. People usually go for 1-2 months then come back. If you're outside the country for more than 6 months, it doesn't look too good. You need to take into account of policy change and interview (if you're applying for GC). You didn't stay what you're applying for (H1B?) so I can't say for sure, but whatever application is pending will be affected if you use AP to stay out of the country for that long period of time.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X