I-765 instruction conflict regarding passport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-765 instruction conflict regarding passport

Hi, I'm working on I-765 together with I-485.

Item 21.b in Part 2 in I-765 is the passport number. The question is "Passport Number of Your Most Recently Issued Passport", but I-765 instruction says "If you used a passport or travel document to travel to the United States, enter either the passport or travel document information in the appropriate space on the application, even if the passport or travel document is currently expired."

I think I-765 instruction is the same as that of I-485 (the passport used to enter the USA), but somehow on the actual form, it is shown to use the most recent passport.

Do you know if there is any answer from USCIS? What should I do?

My wife entered the USA with a passport that expired in 2018 before we started this process. She renewed her passport. We put on I-485 the old/expired passport and on I-765 the new passport.

Don't know if this is right or not, but the form say "Passport Number of Your Most Recently Issued Passport" and that's not the passport she used to enter the USA.
    Nov 2018 - Package sent - EB - Texas Service Center
    Day 1 - Package received at the lockbox
    Day 999 - Card delivered to me - Aug 2021
    ---
    All my posts are based on my experience or information I read on the forums or the USCIS website. I may be wrong. Please consult a professional.

Comment

Hi,

What did you guys find out? I am working on my I-765, too. I used an old passport to enter the US, and I renewed it recently. Which one should I put on the Form I-765?

Comment

You should use the passport that is currently valid / unexpired at the time of filing.
        When submitting evidence, provide bio page of current passport and older / expired passports.
        USCIS can verify previous passports / I-94 numbers in their system
        Opinion only. Cannot be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X