L2 EAD and travel outside USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L2 EAD and travel outside USA

Hi, My husband is on L2 and applied waiting for EAD since 4 months. He needs to travel to India in December for a short visit. Will his travel affect his EAD processing? Can someone please share information on whether the processing can be further delayed due to this?

warm regards

The official guideline doesn't require the L-2 EAD (I-765) petitioner to stay in the US while waiting for approval.
    This is from what I managed to find in the web and of course from my attorney.

But - from my personal experience, my wife just got an RFE because we left the US for a week.
    She's been waiting for more than 5 months for the approval, we left to Mexico and returned a week later, and a few days afterwards she got an RFE stating that:
    USCIS records indicate you departed the United States on ---------, and have not returned to the United States.
    Submit legible photocopies of the form I-94, Arrival/Departure Record(s), for you and your spouse documenting your most recent arrival into the United States
    Again, from what I managed to find, this is unprecedented! Besides the fact that we were already back in the US a few days before the RFE was written (and the I-94 was available and valid), there was no reason to get a RFE for not being physically in the US.

So, I can't really say if this is some kind of new trend or an unspoken instruction that they get to reject a certain amount of EADs, or maybe just really bad luck. Beware.
    I'd love to hear if anybody else experienced this.

Comment

I checked with our lawyers and was told I was ok to travel as I have a valid L2 visa. It is only my EAD I’m waiting on being renewed.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X