How to apply SSN after EAD approval

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to apply SSN after EAD approval

I have received my EAD card few days back !

Now i have to apply for a new SSN (local offices are closed due to COVID 19), so wanted to check if there is an option online to apply for SSN or is there any other options.

An EAD is obtained by filing form I-765. The same form gives you the option to get a social security card (Part 2 Question 14 & 15). I have attached this to my reply
    If you had selected "YES", USCIS will send your information to SSA and you should get the SSN card within 7-10 days (more like 2-3 weeks with Covid)
    If you had selected NO, then you missed out and will need to visit an SSA office to apply for a new card.
    Attached Files
    Opinion only. Cannot be construed as legal advice.

Comment

If you checked Yes it could take up to a month to get the SSN card after you get the EAD. Even 5 weeks.
      Nov 2018 - Package sent - EB - Texas Service Center
      Day 1 - Package received at the lockbox
      Day 999 - Card delivered to me - Aug 2021
      ---
      All my posts are based on my experience or information I read on the forums or the USCIS website. I may be wrong. Please consult a professional.

Comment

My attorney missed to check the checkbox while submitting I-765.
        Now since the SSA office is closed, i don't have any other option but wait.

Comment

You can probably call local SSA office. Some of them are giving appointments for new SSN application if it is work related need like if you have a job in hand that needs SSN. I am based in massachusetts where they are considering appointment only visit for new SSN application. Try calling your local office.

Comment

Enub4 Just received my EAD card today. Thank God! you mentioned above that it will take a month to get the SSN card after the EAD arrived. My question is, I'm planning to go to school and SSN is the major requirement to get in. The school will start middle next week that means, i have to miss then since it will take a month for my SSN card to arrive. Any suggestions is highly appreciated. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Morimoto Vera View Post
              Enub4 Just received my EAD card today. Thank God! you mentioned above that it will take a month to get the SSN card after the EAD arrived. My question is, I'm planning to go to school and SSN is the major requirement to get in. The school will start middle next week that means, i have to miss then since it will take a month for my SSN card to arrive. Any suggestions is highly appreciated. Thank you!
              When we first applied for EAD it took 2 weeks for the SSN to arrive. We visited the SS office and they were able to give us the number and said the card was in the mail. Now with the closures I don't know what you can do but wait or call your local office, but it may take a week or more for them to know that your SSN is in process. Good luck.
              Nov 2018 - Package sent - EB - Texas Service Center
              Day 1 - Package received at the lockbox
              Day 999 - Card delivered to me - Aug 2021
              ---
              All my posts are based on my experience or information I read on the forums or the USCIS website. I may be wrong. Please consult a professional.

Comment

Enub4 Thank you! will do that first thing tomorrow morning. Have a good weekend.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                X