Denied InfoPass appt for emergency AP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denied InfoPass appt for emergency AP

So today I found out we had a sudden death in the family. I applied for advance parole last month with a pending I-485 (that still pending as it now takes 6 months to process according to the case processing times).

I called USCIS as you can no longer schedule in office appt online at the local ASC for any emergency issues. When I spoke to the person on the phone she told me that because I already have a "pending" I-131 form, I cannot get an InfoPass appt because there is already an application pending. I explained it was a family emergency/death and she said there is nothing else that can be done and I cannot apply for another I-131 or even get an appt to discuss the reason I want an emergency advance parole appt and change the current application that is processing.

Does anybody have insight on this or has been in a similar situation? I feel so disheartened by this whole immigration experience/delays and now this. :'(
    Processing at NBC
    FO: Newark, NJ

PD: 2/24/2020
    Biometric appt notice: 3/10/20 for 4/1/20 (canceled due to COVID).
    2nd Biometric Notice: 10/2/20
    Biometric Appt: 10/20/20
    EAD Card Received: 10/30/20
    Ready to be Scheduled for Interview: 11/17/20
    Interview: completed on 5/20/2021

If you have documentation, you can apply for an AP expedite.

Comment

Maybe the person who answered the phone doesn't know what they're talking about. Expediting a filed AP application and applying for emergency AP in person are two different things, from this page. I don't see why you can't apply for emergency AP if you've already applied for AP by mail.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post
        Maybe the person who answered the phone doesn't know what they're talking about. Expediting a filed AP application and applying for emergency AP in person are two different things, from this page. I don't see why you can't apply for emergency AP if you've already applied for AP by mail.
        That is what I figured as well, will call again and try and get an appt, or I may just try and walk in to apply.
        Thanks for the link.
        Processing at NBC

Comment

So update- I called USCIS again and spoke with another agent. Was able to get an Info Pass appt at my local office.

I went and the officer was very nice, listened to my case/need for emergency travel and I got my I-131 approved that day. They did not take finger prints,or a picture. They used my passport picture I brought it for the document.

I mentioned that I still have not been rescheduled for biometrics and the officer stated they are working on the list but could not tell me where I am in line or when it may be. I mentioned well if I am traveling out of the country for an emergency what happens, they said I would just have to reschedule it when I get back. Sigh.
          Processing at NBC

Comment

You should be able to do Emergency AP. I myself did it a few years back. I brought the proper documentation and AP was granted right there on the spot.

Comment

Hello, i am in the same boat of emergency AP...when they approved your AP..how long do they approve it for ? I heard that someone got approved for just a month. Is that true?

Comment

Yes, they only approved it for 4 weeks because it was for an emergency.
                Processing at NBC

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                X