In India, Lost Advance Parole card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In India, Lost Advance Parole card

Hello, Lost EAD with AP card in India. Got validity until Nov 2023. Planning to travel back to US. Since I'm not in the US, I cannot apply for replacement. Called USCIS a few times. On the last call with USCIS, the agent said one option for me is to get a I-131A Application for Travel Document (Carrier Documentation) from the embassy/consulate. Later when I was looking at the form on USCIS site, it says it is only issued for lawful permanent resident (LPR) (aka Green card holders). Now I'm confused.

Anyone had similar issue in the past? There should be someway for people who lost their EAD/AP cards outside USA. Thanks in advance.

​

You may file Form I-131A to apply for a Travel Document if:
    1. You have been lawfully admitted to the United States as a LPR or conditional LPR;
    2. You have not lost LPR or conditional LPR status by removal from the United States nor abandoned that status;
    3. You have traveled abroad temporarily, and without any intent of abandoning your LPR or conditional LPR status;
    4. You wish to return to the United States after your temporary absence of less than a year with a Permanent Resident Card or two years with a Reentry Permit; and
    5. You are not in possession of a valid, unexpired Permanent Resident Card or Reentry Permit (for example, your card or permit was lost, stolen, destroyed, or mutilated) or other authorization to apply for admission to, or otherwise seek lawful entry into, the United States.

From USCIS website

From this instruction, i think the i131A is the best and only option you have.
    Last edited by Sdollar4real; 11-05-2022, 10:03 PM.

Comment

According to this USCIS-AILA liaison meeting from 2017, question and answer 23 (on page 10-11), they were working on a process for these cases. They said in some cases people have been able to get a new Advance Parole by contacting the office that issued it. They said that in other cases, people have been able to apply for an Advance Parole for an individual outside the US (I believe this would be I-131 application type 1.e.) It also says that non-LPRs cannot be issued transportation letters.

In Dec 2019, there was a request for comments on a revised edition of the I-131A form, which would include the ability to apply for carrier documentation for lost Advance Paroles and EADs, in addition to lost green cards. However, such an edition of the I-131A has not been published to date, and the current edition is still the 02/13/19 edition, which is only for lost green cards.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Sdollar4real View Post
        You may file Form I-131A to apply for a Travel Document if:
        1. You have been lawfully admitted to the United States as a LPR or conditional LPR;
        2. You have not lost LPR or conditional LPR status by removal from the United States nor abandoned that status;
        3. You have traveled abroad temporarily, and without any intent of abandoning your LPR or conditional LPR status;
        4. You wish to return to the United States after your temporary absence of less than a year with a Permanent Resident Card or two years with a Reentry Permit; and
        5. You are not in possession of a valid, unexpired Permanent Resident Card or Reentry Permit (for example, your card or permit was lost, stolen, destroyed, or mutilated) or other authorization to apply for admission to, or otherwise seek lawful entry into, the United States.

From USCIS website

From this instruction, i think the i131A is the best and only option you have.
        The OP is not an LPR. Advance Parole is only for people who are not LPRs.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I will be reaching out embassy and USCIS again this week. Will post my update either-way here.

Comment

By the way, a new edition of the I-131A form is out, and this edition allows you to get carrier documentation for lost re-entry permits and Advance Paroles.

Comment

Thanks so much. Right in time, the new changes helps my case. However I'm having a tough time booking an appointment with embassy/consulate. When I start a new application on the site, it gives me immigrant/non-immigrant visa option. In both the options I cannot find a section where it says 'Transportation/Boarding Foil' or I-131A. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Update: Having hard time convincing Hyderabad Consular folks. They say they only process I-131A forms for Green Card Holders but not in my case. Even though I share them the link to USCIS site for the new I-131A, somehow they don't agree and asking me to reach out Mumbai or Delhi consulate/embassy.

Comment

Have them read 9 FAM 202.3-3(A).b, which contains the sentence:
                  In the event the individual had approved Advance Parole prior to departing the United States and is no longer in possession of the Advance Parole Document and it has not expired, the applicant may file Form I-131A.​

Comment

VinodP, were you finally able to get this sorted. I am on same boat and appreciate some guidance as soon as you can

Comment

Apologies, I lost access to the email I used to sign in. Today I was able to recover and login.

After multiple tries with consulates, Chennai consulate replied me back. They have asked for my form I131A receipt and any copies of my eaf or approvals. They sent me the confirmation of appointment via email.

In the consulate, though the staff and interviewers were not completely sure about Advance parole lost situation, they kind of understood It as someone lost their GC and provided me with a boarding parole valid for a one time use with 30 day validity.

At the port of entry, i was moved to secondary inspection. CBP officer looked at the copies of approval letters I had, boarding parole and within 20 mins I was allowed in. I was admitted as if I used my advance parole.

Hope this helps and thanks so much for others helping me with my questio n

Comment

Thankyou Vinod for your reply. I am glad you were able to get back. I moved my flight to 30 days from today and I also learnt that I have to use the travel document in 30 days from the issue date. So can you please answer below questions so I can plan better

How long did they take to respond to your original mail and asked you for payment receipt and copies of original card
                        How long did they take to give you an appointment after you responded with above documents

Comment

Hi, in my experience only Chennai consulate got back to me in 1 day after I emailed. Other consulates were not well aware of Advance parole and form 131A coverage, hope it is changed now. In their email they have asked for a list of documents. Once I replied back with the documents they got back to me again in 1 day with an appointment date and time. The appointment date was within ~7 days of the email. You can always ask them for a different appointment time if needed. Print this email and take it with you to consulate ( not a requirement, just to be safe)

Comment

Thankyou Vinod, even for me also only Chennai consulate responded, I am going this week for appointment. They gave me 9-11 am window will they handover passport immediately or did they take you a day or two to handover passport.

Comment

Hi, they took 2 days to return the passport to me. They call you on your contact number to confirm the pickup timings. What ever questions you have make sure you get them answered in the same call otherwise it is difficult to reach them. Good Luck!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X