Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green card and Passport

Hi All,

I am planning to apply for Green card. My passport has a problem. I am from Tamil Nadu, India where there is no concept of last name (only initials).
    While applying for passport, normally people uses their father's name as their last name.
    My problem is that, when applying for passport, my father's name had a spelling mistake (which we did not notice until the passport got issued.) Hence, the same name got reflected as my last name.
    I did not had a birth certificate and we applied last year and got with the correct spellings.
    (again, as there is no concept of last name, the birth certificate has just first name as my name and there is a separate father's name).
    Since I am applying for my greencard, my friend asked me just to change my father's name and leave the last name as it is as this is an easy process and can be completed very soon.
    To my scenario, can someone please advise on what is the best way to approach this? Will this cause any RFE on my GC case? Please let me know.

Originally posted by venkataraman View Post
    Hi All,

I am planning to apply for Green card. My passport has a problem. I am from Tamil Nadu, India where there is no concept of last name (only initials).
    While applying for passport, normally people uses their father's name as their last name.
    My problem is that, when applying for passport, my father's name had a spelling mistake (which we did not notice until the passport got issued.) Hence, the same name got reflected as my last name.
    I did not had a birth certificate and we applied last year and got with the correct spellings.
    (again, as there is no concept of last name, the birth certificate has just first name as my name and there is a separate father's name).
    Since I am applying for my greencard, my friend asked me just to change my father's name and leave the last name as it is as this is an easy process and can be completed very soon.
    To my scenario, can someone please advise on what is the best way to approach this? Will this cause any RFE on my GC case? Please let me know.
    Hi

Since the last name is mandatory field for applying green card, so you can't leave that blank. You can fill the application with your first name and last name as shown in the birth certificate. If they gave you RFE at that time you can submit your birth certificate as your proof.

Thanks

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X