Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paying company for green card if quitting within a year

Hello,
    My company is filing for my green card and this is a proper American software company not a consulting firm. I have signed a paper saying that in case I quit within one year then I will pay them my GC costs. I really don't know how much this would come to. Is it legal to enforce something like this? How exactly are they going to enforce this document what if I just turn up to office and don't do any work?

Originally posted by venkatdabri View Post
    Hello,
    My company is filing for my green card and this is a proper American software company not a consulting firm. I have signed a paper saying that in case I quit within one year then I will pay them my GC costs. I really don't know how much this would come to. Is it legal to enforce something like this? How exactly are they going to enforce this document what if I just turn up to office and don't do any work?
    It is absolutely, 100% legal and binding. Many companies do that, in fact, to prevent what you're trying to do: get your legal costs paid by them, to immediately leave for greener pastures.

Costs depend on legal firm they're using, if they need to translate documents, etc. Low estimate of 20,000.

If you "show up but do nothing" - you will be fired and you will still have to pay them back. They can sue you if you don't - and go after any assets you may have, or the judge may set a wage garnishment against you - ie, if you start working for another company, that company will deduct X amount of money of each one of your paychecks, until your debt is paid.

Be aware that if you ARE sued, and you DID sign a legally binding document - you will lose, and on top of the costs for the green card, you will also need to pay the costs for the lawsuit. That could add another 20K or more (depends on what the judge decides is reasonable) to your debt.

So, in short: don't do it. You're already on the hook for the immigration lawyer . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Bastad View Post
      It is absolutely, 100% legal and binding. Many companies do that, in fact, to prevent what you're trying to do: get your legal costs paid by them, to immediately leave for greener pastures.

Costs depend on legal firm they're using, if they need to translate documents, etc. Low estimate of 20,000.

If you "show up but do nothing" - you will be fired and you will still have to pay them back. They can sue you if you don't - and go after any assets you may have, or the judge may set a wage garnishment against you - ie, if you start working for another company, that company will deduct X amount of money of each one of your paychecks, until your debt is paid.

Be aware that if you ARE sued, and you DID sign a legally binding document - you will lose, and on top of the costs for the green card, you will also need to pay the costs for the lawsuit. That could add another 20K or more (depends on what the judge decides is reasonable) to your debt.

So, in short: don't do it. You're already on the hook for the immigration lawyer . . .
      But this thread says that PERM costs have to absolutely be paid by the employer http://www. ******** .com/usa-discus...-forum-experts

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X