Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green card for my mother's husband

Hello,

I am a US citizen and as such I know I can sponsor my mother for a GC. I know the process, steps, etc...
    Where I am not clear is about the situation of her husband, not my father, so as such I cannot sponsor him. But being a spouse of someone who will be granted a GC he should be able to get it too, right?
    When I send my mother's application should I send his along?
    Should I wait until we receive confirmation on my mother's file before we add him?
    I couldn't find this situation anywhere on internet, FAQ, forums.... clearly I cannot be the 1st person in this situation.
    Thank you,
    C.

If your mom and stepdad married after your turned 18, you cannot petition your stepdad.

Your stepdad is not eligible for a derivative visa based on your mom's visa processing BECAUSE SHE IS AN IMMEDIATE PRIORITY CLASS (IR-5) which does not allow for derivative visas to other family members.

Your mom will have to petition her husband/your stepdad after she arrives in the U.S. Processing time will then be 2 years or less (depending on processing country).

--Ray B

Originally posted by cvcath View Post
    Hello,

I am a US citizen and as such I know I can sponsor my mother for a GC. I know the process, steps, etc...
    Where I am not clear is about the situation of her husband, not my father, so as such I cannot sponsor him. But being a spouse of someone who will be granted a GC he should be able to get it too, right?
    When I send my mother's application should I send his along?
    Should I wait until we receive confirmation on my mother's file before we add him?
    I couldn't find this situation anywhere on internet, FAQ, forums.... clearly I cannot be the 1st person in this situation.
    Thank you,
    C.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X