Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L1 visa to green card - marriage and questions

Hi,

My fiancé is currently on a L1 visa status and is planning to apply for employment based green card. We are engaged, but not married yet, he lives in the US already and I'm living in Brazil. If you could please help with the questions below we would really appreciate it!!!

1) should we get married leveraging on his L1 visa or should we wait for the GC and than get married? Does it matter the timing? Is there one option that will make the process easier?

2) should he process for premium I-140? If he gets premium, how long should the whole process take?

3) if it is an employment based GC, does he get stuck with that company? Can he change companies? Should he worry about getting fired after he gets the GC?

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Regards

Originally posted by Alexandra Ximenes View Post
    Hi,

My fiancé is currently on a L1 visa status and is planning to apply for employment based green card. We are engaged, but not married yet, he lives in the US already and I'm living in Brazil. If you could please help with the questions below we would really appreciate it!!!

1) should we get married leveraging on his L1 visa or should we wait for the GC and than get married? Does it matter the timing? Is there one option that will make the process easier?

2) should he process for premium I-140? If he gets premium, how long should the whole process take?

3) if it is an employment based GC, does he get stuck with that company? Can he change companies? Should he worry about getting fired after he gets the GC?

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Regards
    Once your fiance gets his green card, he cannot add any dependents. If you are married anytime before he receives his GC, his lawyers can update his application and add you as a dependent. You cannot get a green card AFTER he receives his, so the sooner you get married the better.
    For Employment based GC, he isnt stuck with his company after he gets the GC, however, the GC was filed stating the company needs his services for a long period. From what i have read on the forum, within 2 years of getting his GC, if he quits, someone has to file a complaint and only then will the USCIS look into it. The complaint could be filed by the company (large corporates don't usually do that), or by a disgruntled colleague.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X