No announcement yet.

Recent PhD grad considering a postdoc offer. Hoping to apply for H1B or EB2-NIW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recent PhD grad considering a postdoc offer. Hoping to apply for H1B or EB2-NIW

Hi all,

As the title says, I'm a recent PhD graduate (chemistry) and I was recently offered a postdoc position. I was mostly focused on getting a full time position in the industry but this postdoc position appears to be a very good fit.

I'm currently on F-1 OPT (starting in Oct) and I'm trying to find out which career route will best prepare me for H1B or EB1/EB2 in the future.

Here are the things I know:

If I were to get an H1B while doing a postdoc, it's going to be cap-exempt. This will make it tough for me to transition into the industry, as opposed to going into the industry now with my OPT.

There will be some risks associated with getting an H1B with an industrial job, due to the lottery system.

I'll likely have to go for self-sponsored green card as a postdoc, since it's not a permanent position. Only the latest two papers are first authored. Not stellar but better than many graduate students I know.

Ideal scenario - do a postdoc, get sponsored for cap-exempt H1B, and get a full time position at a University. One can dream....

I'm mostly looking for advice on whether it would be wise to accept the postdoc position. I'd like to pick one that will help me the most in obtaining a green card in the future. I currently don't have any other interviews or offers. I have enough savings that I can go for some time without an income, and there is a lab where I can volunteer at to fulfill the unemployment period on my OPT.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks all!

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X