Can I bring my baby to the U.S.?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I bring my baby to the U.S.?

A close friend of mine is seeking advise regarding her case.

Any help will do

Thanks,

Loryn

Here's an excerpt from her e-mail:

Our EB3 petition (PD Feb. 2006) is now current and if things go

uninterrupted, let's say we get our Packet 4 and visa by July this
    year. So we have 6 months left (till Jan. 2009) to stay here in PH.
    I'm pregnant and due November. So what if we decide to stay here
    until I give birth, can I still bring my newborn to the U.S. and what
    are the steps? Will the Embassy grant my baby an immigrant visa as
    well?

You might suggest that we should migrate instantly upon receiving
    our visas and have the baby born in the US to avoid such problem.
    How I wish it was that easy. Due to financial reasons, it would be
    less expensive for us to have the baby born here and at the same
    time, my husband's employment contract will expire by December.

A child born to legal permanent residents outside US can get permanent residence if the baby is brought to US within 2 years on its first entry to US. Look for the official documents on this. What I am saying is from my memory of what I read online.

The exact text is in 8 CFR 211.1(b):
    "(b) Waivers. (1) A waiver of the visa required in paragraph (a) of this section shall be granted without fee or application by the district director, upon presentation of the child's birth certificate, to a child born subsequent to the issuance of an immigrant visa to his or her accompanying parent who applies for admission during the validity of such a visa; or a child born during the temporary visit abroad of a mother who is a lawful permanent resident alien, or a national, of the United States, provided that the child 's application for admission to the United States is made within 2 years of birth, the child is accompanied by the parent who is applying for readmission as a permanent resident upon the first return of the parent to the United States after the birth of the child, and the accompanying parent is found to be admissible to the United States."
    Last edited by txh1b; 05-06-2008, 04:23 PM.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Originally posted by txh1b
      A child born to legal permanent residents outside US can get permanent residence if the baby is brought to US within 2 years on its first entry to US. Look for the official documents on this. What I am saying is from my memory of what I read online.

The exact text is in 8 CFR 211.1(b):
      "(b) Waivers. (1) A waiver of the visa required in paragraph (a) of this section shall be granted without fee or application by the district director, upon presentation of the child's birth certificate, to a child born subsequent to the issuance of an immigrant visa to his or her accompanying parent who applies for admission during the validity of such a visa; or a child born during the temporary visit abroad of a mother who is a lawful permanent resident alien, or a national, of the United States, provided that the child 's application for admission to the United States is made within 2 years of birth, the child is accompanied by the parent who is applying for readmission as a permanent resident upon the first return of the parent to the United States after the birth of the child, and the accompanying parent is found to be admissible to the United States."
      Thanks for the reply and hope others can share their experiences as well.

Loryn

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X