Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PERM - Layoff

Hello,

I work as a s/w engineer for a mid-size company in the bay area. I have been trying to file my Green Card but haven't been able to apply for PERM (labor cert) because there was at least one layoff in my company and I was told by my lawyer that I will have to wait at least 6 more months before I can apply. This has happened twice already and I haven't been able to apply for PERM for almost a year now. My questions:

(1) Is there some alternative or workaround for this situation?

(2) What do big companies like Microsoft, Oracle and Google do? These companies must have a lot of layoffs going on yet I hear their employees getting green cards.

Any information on this is most appreciate!

Thanks
    Siddharth

1. No as if the company does apply and gets into an audit situation, it really gets messy for the employer. Hence, in general, good companies don't.
    2. I have worked in one such major employer in the past and they do not file GCs in case of a layoff going on in that particular department as well. As they are huge, they mostly go by departments. That is the very reason I quit as GC situation was getting messy.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Thanks for your response. I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience in this matter.

Siddharth

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X