Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

L1A visa holder, need to bring wife over..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L1A visa holder, need to bring wife over..

Ok, from my research, I hope what I'm about to describe or plan to do is correct or is the most efficient way of doing things:

I will be getting married in Dec 2008. I am currently on a L1A visa that will be expiring next year (it's a 3yr visa). My boss has told me to start the Green card application process. I thought it would be best for me to start the Green card process after I get my marriage certificate so that I can apply for the both of us at the same time... so here is what I think I should be doing in sequential order... unless someone can tell me otherwise!

1) Apply for L2 for my wife (I understand she needs to wait for it before she can get to the States from abroad) and that it would be a quick process (a couple of days at most?). Apply for EAD(?) so she is allowed to work. This is where I'm fuzzy. Should she apply for both L2 and EAD at the same time? Or she is only allowed to apply for the EAD after L2 acceptance?

2) She moves to US. I apply for an AOS (Adjustment of Status) for me. Here's where I'm fuzzy. Do I wait for acceptance or is this simply the pre-cursor to getting the Green card? Or is this part of the Green Card application process already? Do my company need to 'sponsor' me? What kind of involvement is needed from my company? i.e. would my company need to initiate this process?

Let's say I'm waiting for our Green card approval to come through (how long is the wait on avg anyway?) and my L1A has expired (next year in October), am I allowed to stay here legally? Or do I have to apply for an extension first while waiting?

Much appreciate any help anyone can provide! This is a hairy disposition for me, not to mention super stressful! Egad! All that wedding $$$ expense too!

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X