Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-485 interview experience - EB2

Hi all,

Figured I'd share my interview experience given how little information is available on this topic for non-marriage applicants.

Had my interview in the Chicago office. Arrived 30min early to the interview and passed security in less than 5min. Waited for my appointment for 40min and was called in. Overall the experience was straightforward with no unexpected questions. Standard questions related to my job responsibilities, company headquarter location, my previous visas I used to stay in the country, visa continuity throughout my stay in the US, and then went through the "yes/no" questions.

I thought the interview went well and was done within 25min. Sadly I did not receive an approval on the spot. Rather, I got the notice of interview results which stated that the case is being held for review and USCIS does not require any more documentation at this time. The IO said that they'd review the case and to reach out if I haven't heard back in 120 days. From the limited information available online for employment-based applications, it does look like these cases have less chances of being approved on the spot (compared to marriage). That's just from the information I've been able to gather rather than actual statistics so who knows.

Now it's on to the waiting game...Good luck to everyone else out there going through the process.

Hi there,
    Thanks for sharing your valuable experience with us! May i know how long you've been waited since you submitted your finger prints?
    I've been waiting for the interview for 5 months, kind of anxious.
    Hope you get your greencard soon.

Comment

Thank you for sharing, please update this thread when you get the approval notice and GC. Good luck.
      Nov 2018 - Package sent - EB - Texas Service Center
      Day 1 - Package received at the lockbox
      Day 999 - Card delivered to me - Aug 2021
      ---
      All my posts are based on my experience or information I read on the forums or the USCIS website. I may be wrong. Please consult a professional.

Comment

Thank you so much for sharing. It is really difficult to find good interview stories from employment based AOS applicants. Hope you get your green card soon.
        AOS EB-3 Employment Based
        3/18/19 Filed I-485/I-765/I-131
        3/19/19 Received by USCIS
        5/3/19 USCIS sent receipt NOAs for I-485/I-765/I-131
        5/9/19 NOAs in hand
        5/10/10 Biometrics notice in hand
        5/22/19 Biometrics completed
        5/23/19 Fingerprint Review complete
        8/20/19 Case ready to be scheduled for an interview
        9/4/19 I-765 Card in Production
        9/12/19 EAD Card in hand
        10/22/19 Received Interview Scheduled Notification
        11/27/19 Interview Date (Santa Ana) - Approved, Card in Production.

Comment

I had my employment based category interview in December 2018. Similar experience in terms of arrival, security check etc. We were actually called in ahead of time. We were asked to sign a waiver to not have our attorney present. Officer did not ask a single question on employment. She focused on the yes/no type of questions and validated photocopies by looking at our originals (she stamped and signed those copies like a notary does). We also submitted new medical reports and some extra documents (address proofs). Entire process took about 20-25 minutes. We never expected to be approved as date was not current. We didn't get any paper notice etc. She just told us that some further background checks were needed and we would be contacted if any information was needed. When I asked her about when we can expect approval, she said to wait for the date to become current.

Comment

Hi all,

Glad this is helpful, I’ll definitely keep the thread up to date as I find out more.

These are only rough dates but my application went as follows:

-August 2018 Concurrent filing of 1-140/I-485
            -Late Sept 2018 Biometrics completed
            -Jan 2019 1-140 approved (had to upgrade to premium processing as it was moving really slow)
            -Late Feb 2018 I-485 transferred to NBC for interview scheduling
            -Apr 2019 RFE for birth certificate translation (please always submit translation!)
            -Early May 2019 interview scheduled for June (very fast turnaround with RFE)
            -Interview in June 2019
            -Final decision (or RFE) pending

My application is current so I’m just waiting on a decision.

Comment

We had our employment based interviews in Detroit in April 2018. Our lawyer went to. I thought we were going to get a lot of questions about my job etc. the lady took my wife and I together. It lasted 15 minutes and was just her reading of all the questions we had already answered in our applications.
              She flew through it. Our lawyer never said anything. Then she asked if we had any questions. I said no. She said that we were approved right there. That was it.

Originally posted by acu136 View Post
              Hi all,

Figured I'd share my interview experience given how little information is available on this topic for non-marriage applicants.

Had my interview in the Chicago office. Arrived 30min early to the interview and passed security in less than 5min. Waited for my appointment for 40min and was called in. Overall the experience was straightforward with no unexpected questions. Standard questions related to my job responsibilities, company headquarter location, my previous visas I used to stay in the country, visa continuity throughout my stay in the US, and then went through the "yes/no" questions.

I thought the interview went well and was done within 25min. Sadly I did not receive an approval on the spot. Rather, I got the notice of interview results which stated that the case is being held for review and USCIS does not require any more documentation at this time. The IO said that they'd review the case and to reach out if I haven't heard back in 120 days. From the limited information available online for employment-based applications, it does look like these cases have less chances of being approved on the spot (compared to marriage). That's just from the information I've been able to gather rather than actual statistics so who knows.

Now it's on to the waiting game...Good luck to everyone else out there going through the process.

Comment

Hi! I am new in this forum and I am wondering if any of you guys had an RFE after the I485 interview. They requested for a supplement J. We already submitted it. I wonder how long did you have to wait for a decision? Thanks!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                X