CIMT conviction from ten years ago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CIMT conviction from ten years ago

I was convicted for misdemeanor class A in Indiana for animal cruelty when i was a sophomore in college in the year 2000. The lawyer at that time just told me to take the plea guilty and I did it because I was young and had no idea what I was doing. I was not sent to jail, but the maximum penalty was 365 days in jail. I was sentenced to 20 days of community service and I had to take an anger management class. I would believe that this is considered a CIMT.

Since then, i have not gotten into any trouble (except one minor traffic violation), received my MBA and have been working for the last 5 years. My current employer wants to sponsor my GC, but I am afraid that this conviction may cause my GC application to be denied.

In addition, my H1-B visa was actually denied back in 2007 by the consulate when I went back to my home country as I had totally forgotten about the conviction. I reapplied for my H1-B visa with a waiver (sent straights to the USCIS in the US) and it was approved. I have not left the US after that, but my status has always been valid.

I had already spoken with a lawyer about it, and he said no problem as my conviction had nothing to do with drugs and gun smuggling. But I'm not sure if this is true.... can someone shed some light into this? Thank you.

anyone?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X