Family Based Immigration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Based Immigration

How long after Permanent Residency do you become a citizen?

Do you have to wait until you are a citizen before you can apply for a family based immigration for my sister L4?

Mostly, 5 years. 3 years if your PR is thorugh marriage to a US citizen.
    There are some special cases too, like employees of US armed forces with different requirements as PRs.
    Read the naturalization guide by USCIS for complete info on eligibility.

Yes, you can apply for your sister under immigration category F4,
    only after you become a US citizen but be advised, that this category
    has a very long wait .

Comment

How long?

Hello guys,

Hope you are doing well.
      I have a question for you pons1, as you've said in your post the F4 category has a long wait, could you please tell me how long does it take since the day that the U.S citizen applies for his/her sister or brother?
      And also are there any restrictions for their spouses or children?

Your replies are greatly appreciated...
      Best of luck

Comment

For most countries , except mexico and phillip. for which the wait is even longer, current visas under F4 are available for petitions approved in
        1993. Which means a wait of about 12 years.

Spouses and children of the brother/sister get the visas too when the
        visa is available but remember children means less than 21 years of age
        when the petition is filed.

Comment

Thank you pons1 for your reply.

Well, my uncle (my mother's brother) who is a US citizen (he is 41 and married and has a son), applied for my mother's Green Card 2 years ago and back then I was 18 and my sister was 10, so according to your post there is nothing wrong with the case...right?...and we have 10 more years!!!

Here is another question for you: Can someone still participate in the DV Lottery Program if S/he is holding a PR Card of Canada? ...I know that Canadian citizens are not able because law says that but what about Permanent Residents of Canada?

Thanks in advance

Comment

Just make sure your names were included in the petition that your uncle filed.

For the purpose of dv lottery, the country of birth is taken into consideration
            and not the country of PR or citizenship.

Comment

Thank you pons1 for your ULTRA FAST reply!!!

Yes, our names were included. I was wondering since my name is in there, can I participate in the DV Lottery Program?
              Because I've heard that if someone is already in the process of waiting for GC is not eligible to participate in the DV Lottery Program...Is it true?
              Please confirm if it's true or not.

Many thanks again
              Last edited by julkin; 08-19-2005, 04:43 AM.

Comment

I donot know the answer to this question. You may visit the state dept
                website for dv lottery and find out. lottery.http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/imm...ypes_1318.html

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                X