Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green Card Application for Child over 21

Hello everyone,

I have a question that I hope can be answered. My mother just received her green card this week and she wants to sponsor me and apply for a green card on my behalf. My mother is 62 and does not have a job or source of income. I am over 21 and I just graduated from a university in Illinois. My STEM OPT actually starts in September and I already have a job offer in hand. Is my mother able to file an I-130 for me even though she does not work? Are there any exceptions due to her age? I do not need her to financially support me as I have savings and a job. Should she file a green card for me in this situation or it is not advisable? Would sure appreciate some advice in this. Thank you.

She can, it will be F2B category, and wait time might be around 7 years. If she naturalizes within that period (5 years after being a GC holder), i think it will make the wait time a bit shorter . You have to be unmarried when your priority date comes up. not sure if that is what you have in mind.

I am not sure if she needs to fulfill the income requirement.

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeGraduate View Post
      Hello everyone,

I have a question that I hope can be answered. My mother just received her green card this week and she wants to sponsor me and apply for a green card on my behalf. My mother is 62 and does not have a job or source of income. I am over 21 and I just graduated from a university in Illinois. My STEM OPT actually starts in September and I already have a job offer in hand. Is my mother able to file an I-130 for me even though she does not work? Are there any exceptions due to her age? I do not need her to financially support me as I have savings and a job. Should she file a green card for me in this situation or it is not advisable? Would sure appreciate some advice in this. Thank you.
      If your nationality is not China or India , i suggest that you go the Employment based route. That is far easier than family based. If you are from India, then FB is the better option.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X