Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Applying under 4th Preference (brothers of U.S citizen) using Cross-Chargeability....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying under 4th Preference (brothers of U.S citizen) using Cross-Chargeability....

Hoping someone with expertise on Cross-Chargeability could provide some info...

1. I have a brother who has been a US citizen for few years now.
    2. We both were born in UAE to Indian parents.
    3. I am an Indian national.
    4. My spouse is a Portuguese national born in India.

Can a application be filed under Fourth preference (brothers and sisters of U.S. citizen over 21) using Cross-chargeability route of my birth country ?

Source of my information is this website https://cliniclegal.org/sites/defaul...hapter_1_4.pdf page 6 & 8

Copied relevant text from source website...
    Fourth preference (brothers and sisters of U.S. citizen over 21)?65,000 visas/year, plus any visas left over from the previous preferences.

Cross-Chargeability?If the principal and derivative beneficiaries were born in different countries, it may be possible to apply cross-chargeability principles. Visas are usually chargeable to the country of the beneficiary?s place of birth. But a basic tenet of family-based immigration is maintaining the family intact. If one family member was charged to a country that is oversubscribed, while the other family members in the same preference category were charged to countries that are current, this would result in separation and undue hardship. To remedy this potential problem, the law allows in some situations for the family to elect whichever foreign state is more beneficial. The law seems to limit application of this cross-chargeability, however, to the third? and fourthpreference categories and to situations in which it is necessary to prevent the separation of spouses or separation of children and parents.52 For example, if a U.S. citizen is petitioning for his married Mexican son, the son and his Guatemalan spouse can elect to have their visas charged to Guatemala, since the third preference for Mexicans is backlogged further than for Guatemalans. Similarly, if a U.S. citizen is sponsoring his Japanese brother, the brother?s Filipino wife
    would elect to be charged to her husband?s country of birth. Their child, who was born in India, could elect to be charged to either parent?s country, and in this example would elect the father?s.

Thanks

Originally posted by donald_f View Post
    Hoping someone with expertise on Cross-Chargeability could provide some info...

1. I have a brother who has been a US citizen for few years now.
    2. We both were born in UAE to Indian parents.
    3. I am an Indian national.
    4. My spouse is a Portuguese national born in India.

Can a application be filed under Fourth preference (brothers and sisters of U.S. citizen over 21) using Cross-chargeability route of my birth country ?

Source of my information is this website https://cliniclegal.org/sites/defaul...hapter_1_4.pdf page 6 & 8

Copied relevant text from source website...
    Fourth preference (brothers and sisters of U.S. citizen over 21)?65,000 visas/year, plus any visas left over from the previous preferences.

Cross-Chargeability?If the principal and derivative beneficiaries were born in different countries, it may be possible to apply cross-chargeability principles. Visas are usually chargeable to the country of the beneficiary?s place of birth. But a basic tenet of family-based immigration is maintaining the family intact. If one family member was charged to a country that is oversubscribed, while the other family members in the same preference category were charged to countries that are current, this would result in separation and undue hardship. To remedy this potential problem, the law allows in some situations for the family to elect whichever foreign state is more beneficial. The law seems to limit application of this cross-chargeability, however, to the third? and fourthpreference categories and to situations in which it is necessary to prevent the separation of spouses or separation of children and parents.52 For example, if a U.S. citizen is petitioning for his married Mexican son, the son and his Guatemalan spouse can elect to have their visas charged to Guatemala, since the third preference for Mexicans is backlogged further than for Guatemalans. Similarly, if a U.S. citizen is sponsoring his Japanese brother, the brother?s Filipino wife
    would elect to be charged to her husband?s country of birth. Their child, who was born in India, could elect to be charged to either parent?s country, and in this example would elect the father?s.

Thanks
    You (the principal beneficiary of the petition) are chargeable to the UAE, so you don't need to use cross-chargeability since the UAE is in the "rest of the world" which already has the most beneficial wait times. Your spouse (a derivative beneficiary) is chargeable to India, and India is slightly behind the "rest of the world" in the F4 category (about a year behind), so he/she could use cross-chargeability to be chargeable to the UAE for slightly less wait. Any children you have can also use cross-chargeability to be chargeable to the UAE if it would be more beneficial.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post
      You (the principal beneficiary of the petition) are chargeable to the UAE, so you don't need to use cross-chargeability since the UAE is in the "rest of the world" which already has the most beneficial wait times. Your spouse (a derivative beneficiary) is chargeable to India, and India is slightly behind the "rest of the world" in the F4 category (about a year behind), so he/she could use cross-chargeability to be chargeable to the UAE for slightly less wait. Any children you have can also use cross-chargeability to be chargeable to the UAE if it would be more beneficial.
      Thank you for replying to my post.

Another question on Per-country cap: "7% of the total annual family-sponsored".. What happens when this cap for a particular country is under far below 7%...

Anyone here could recommended a immigration consultant within California area...

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X