Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filling I-130 but I and my spouse living in different states

Hello everybody,
    I just got my Green Card through adjustments of status from F1 student based on employment petition.

I just got married to my husband 1 month ago who is now still F1 student. In fact, we lived together for about 3 years in Texas. However, I just moved to South Carolina to work and just got my Green Card. I will move back to Texas at the end of this year after 1 year contract.

Can we file a form I-130 now when we are living in a different state? Or just wait about 1 more year when I come back Texas?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Was your marriage before or after you became a permanent resident (i.e. the date your AOS is approved; the "resident since" date on your green card)?

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

I got my marriage license on 01/09/2020 and date of marriage was on 01/11/2020. However, I did not know my case was approved on 01/08/2020 until I received the approval letter in my mailbox on 01/13/2020. I know the date of marriage is kind of too close

Comment

That's a bummer, because if the marriage took place before you became a permanent resident, then he can immigrate as your derivative beneficiary without you having to petition him separately with I-130.

Anyway, yes, you can be living in different states, as long as you are prepared to explain why you are living apart (e.g. for work). You guys should file I-130 and I-485 together since the F2A category is current now.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Thank you so much for your response!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X