Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fastest route to sponsor a sibling under 21 - Mexico

Hi all,

I'm a US citizen and I'm trying to sponsor my sister (Mexico), she is unmarried and is 20 years old.
    My mother just got approved for the Green Card, I will get it in a couple of weeks.
    The whole process for my mother took more than a year.

My question is, is it faster to sponsor my sister through me (US citizen) or through my mother (Green Card)?

Thanks!

I'm no expert but from what I read:
    • If you sponsor your sister, she will be in category F4 and for people born in Mexico is a long wait (more than 20 years, PD 15FEB98 or early)
    • if your mother sponsors her daughter, she will be in category F2A but just because your sister is not 21 years old. That PD is current for March and April 2020 (could change after that)
    Because your sister's situation is time sensitive you need to consult someone with experience because if there is a mistake and they reject the documents she may go over 21 years and then the category will be F2B and that wait is around 8 months less than F4.

I don't know if your sister's case falls within the Child Status Protection Act and they will calculate here age by taking out the time it takes for I-130 to be approved.

If I'm correct, the best option will be if:
    1. that your sister is in the USA
    2. she entered legally
    3. she is still legal
    4. your mother file all the forms needed (I-130, I-485, I-864, I-944, etc) and pay the correct fees before she turns 21
    5. if they wait to approve I-130 with I-485 then it will not matter if your sister turns 21 during this time. The problem will be if they don't consider CSPA in her case or they approve the I-130 in a few months and I-485 takes longer, she may end over 21 and will have to wait more than 20 years to become LPR.
    Maybe newacct can comment here. I hope the best for your family, good luck.
    Nov 2018 - Package sent - EB - Texas Service Center
    Day 1 - Package received at the lockbox
    Day 999 - Card delivered to me - Aug 2021
    ---
    All my posts are based on my experience or information I read on the forums or the USCIS website. I may be wrong. Please consult a professional.

Comment

Hi Enub4 thank you so much for all the information, it was really helpful!
      All the best!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X