Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-864 for sponsoring spouse while living abroad

Hi,

I've searched the forum extensively but couldn't find a clear answer to my query, any experience or insight anyone can share will be much appreciated.

Some context on my situation:
    • I'm a US citizen recently married to a UK citizen
    • We are both living together abroad and have been for the past 2 years
    • I've filed US taxes while abroad as per requirements
    • Our income abroad is greater than the minimum income requirements
    • I have savings in the US with US banking institutions (regular savings account and CD) that are greater than the minimum income requirements
    • I intend to move back to the US at the same time as my spouse when the green card is approved
    The questions I am struggling with in relation to the I-864 form and my ability to sponsor my spouse financially are:
    • Is my understanding correct that although I can't use non-US income, I can use my savings with US banking insitutions to meet the minimum income requirements?
    • I understand that I don't need a co-sponsor if I prove that I intend to move back to the US at the same time as my spouse, how difficult is this to prove?
      • Since the process can take an undetermined amount of time, we have only searched for jobs and apartments, not applied to any. I don't know how any employer would give a job offer with a flexible start date within the next 6+ months!
      • I still have US bank accounts, etc with my mailing address set to my parents house... not sure how this would help but thought worth mentioning.
      • We haven't resigned from our jobs here yet, since we don't know how long this process will take and only have a one month notice period.
    Thanks again for taking the time to read this, appreciate any insights that can be provided.

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X