;Filling I864 for my husband

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ;Filling I864 for my husband

I am currently filling I-864 with my husband for him. I have a few questions:
    1. Can I write my middle name after printing because the system doesn't accept "dash" in the name?
    2. For item no.3 Part 5, should I add "1" to my answer? He is both the intending immigrant and spouse.
    3. For current income, I start working in April. I have a flexible schedule. What should income be? What I have earned so far or what I would have earned if I worked a full year?
    4. Should he fill I-864a (A contract with a household member) considering he is my spouse or shouldn't he considering he is the immigrant?
    5. If this year's income will surpass, should we include additional assets? Most of his assets are outside the US

1. Can I write my middle name after printing because the system doesn't accept "dash" in the name?
    What software are you using? Adobe acrobat will likely not allow dashes, but is the best option. What I did: After I filled every field in acrobat reader, I opened it in Microsoft Edge and that allowed such characters, and then I saved it. Do it at the end, because once you save it with edge, Adobe acrobat will not be able to edit it in the same way it was editing it earlier (the automatic checks, etc. don't work after saving with non-acrobat software). Note: I also tried chrome, but saving in chrome wasn't working for some reason. BTW, a lot of people just use edge or chrome and fill the form without the use of automatic checks that acrobat does. This is ok, because I have seen even lawyers use this in their youtube videos. And yes, you can also write it with black pen afterwards.

2. For item no.3 Part 5, should I add "1" to my answer? He is both the intending immigrant and spouse.
    NO. Don't count intending immigrant there even if it's your spouse. There are some youtube videos from lawyers that explain it. Basically the heading above says "Persons NOT sponsored in affidavit". Since spouse is sponsored and is already counted in the earlier section titled "Persons you are sponsoring in this affidavit", you MUST not count it again. This way, you should see the total in item 8 will automatically update to 2. (Automatic update happens only if you are using adobe acrobat reader)

3. For current income, I start working in April. I have a flexible schedule. What should income be? What I have earned so far or what I would have earned if I worked a full year?
    You should enter what you "expect" to earn by the end of the year. For example, if you earn $2000 per month, you can count that for rest of the months assuming you will work for all those months. If you expect to work only 1 or 2 future months this year, then count accordingly. This is what the instructions say. But it's probably harder to prove your expected income in a flexible schedule. Hopefully, someone else can advise better. Also note that, if your income is not enough or on the low side as per the requirements, you can include the income of your spouse (intending immigrant).

4. Should he fill I-864a (A contract with a household member) considering he is my spouse or shouldn't he considering he is the immigrant?
    Don't file I-864A. The instructions clearly says, at several places, to not file I-864A for your spouse if he/she is the intending immigrant.

5. If this year's income will surpass, should we include additional assets? Most of his assets are outside the US
    Multiple videos from lawyers that I watched, say don't include additional assets if you have enough income. It get's very complicated.

Some videos that were helpful for me:
    F2A, Spouse of LPR. Center NBC. FO Seattle
    1/19/20 I-130 filed online
    8/10 I-485,I-131,I-765 sent
    9/05 Got I-797 receipts
    9/14 Got RFIE for lack of I-864
    9/22 Sent response
    10/9 Got I-693 Deficiency Notice
    11/13 Got RFE for lack of I-944
    11/20 Sent I-944
    7/13/21 Got biometric notice
    8/9 Biometric day