I-130 U.S. citizen, H1B to I-485 Indian citizen, filled in July 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-130 U.S. citizen, H1B to I-485 Indian citizen, filled in July 2020

We have a question related to EAD, work, and earning aspect of our marriage based greencard application, that we had filed in July 2020.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Key Info:
    • wife = U.S. citizen ( I-130 )
    • me, husband = Indian citizen ( H1B to I-485 )
    • 01 Jun 2019 = our date of marriage
    • 15 Jul 2020 = we submitted the complete package, that is, I-485, I-130, I-944, I-765, I-131 and supporting documents.
    • 31 Jul 2020 = check processed by USCIS, as seen in our couple's joint bank account
    • 03 Aug 2020 = got physical copies of 4 receipt notices, one each for Form I-130, I-485, I-131 and I-765
    • 22 Aug 2020 = my H1B expired
    Background:

It would help if I can support our family income right away, because my wife’s work hours have been reduced due to the pandemic.

Given that my h1b has expired, what entrepreneurial work can I do in good faith, between now and whenever the EAD comes through (10 months? more?).

While we have some reasonable joint savings, I am keen to not dip into them, because we had accumulated those savings for specific targeted goals, like baby-fund.

After the EAD arrives, I intend to start a small company, raise investment money officially in the company account, create some useful solutions that I am passionate about, while generating jobs for rural American citizens. Prior to the 2020 elections, I was keen to generate jobs for American citizens in general, but now I want to specifically focus on rural American citizens.

Question:

Which scenarios listed below are:
    • (a) definitely illegal
    • (b) neither legal or illegal, but in bad faith
    • (c) neither legal or illegal, but okay to pursue
    • (d) definitely legal
    Scenario 1:
    Can I work without association with any company in any form, to develop my own future startup’s product prototype, while angel investors I am reaching out to, transfer investment money into my bank account?

Scenario 2:
    If that is not appropriate, could investors transfer money to my venmo account (instead of my bank account)?

Scenario 3:
    Could investors transfer money to my wife's bank account? Or her venmo account?

Scenario 4:
    Can I take an unofficial personal loan from friends and family, transferred to my bank account, or my venmo account?

Scenario 5:
    Can I take an unofficial personal loan from friends and family, transferred to my wife's bank account, or her venmo account?

Scenario 6:
    Can I do paid freelance online work?

Scenario 7:
    What do other couples in our position do? Are all couples expected to solely live off of their savings for 4-10 months?

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X