Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green Card for Parents

Hi there,

I expect to become US citizen in February 2021, and hoping to apply for parents' green card shortly after. I have a few questions:

1. My father is 75 years old and has had Parkinson's for a few years. His condition has been stable and he is mentally healthy. He can easily speak, hear and write (in both English and Hindi). He can sometimes have problem walking or maneuvering congested spaces due to his condition. Given the medical exam requirement, would there be concerns in having his case approved?

2. I looked the documentation on USCIS , and see that the requirement for my parents is to have their marriage certificate. I don't see any requirements for their birth certificate. Is their birth certificate not required?

3. What medical insurance options would be available for my parents in the US?

4. Is there any online resource that describes the full process of green card application for parents at one location? The USCIS website doesn't seem to describe the process (including medical requirements) in detail.

Thanks in advance,

Abhishek

Hi there,

I am in the same boat as you - I am a US Citizen but will be turning 21 in January 2021 - I am planning to file for my father who is the US immediately I turn 21. For your questions, see my response.

Q1. I am not certain what the requirements are for this question.

Q2. If your parents are in the US like my father is, the for I-485 does require a copy of the birth certificate or requests submission of other acceptable evidence of birth such as church, school, or medical records, and proof of unavailability or nonexistence.

Q3. HealthCare Marketplace might be an option but not sure if they need SSN to apply. If your parents are outside the US, this requirement might be different.

Q4. I have searched to see if there is a comprehensive resource for filling for parents and have not found any. I am still searching and will let you know if I find anything. So far, I have a patchwork of the process from researching on this forum and online. Will let you know if I find anything.

Good Luck - keep us posted.
    Timeline
    Family Based AOS (Parent)
    PD: 03/03/21
    Package: I-130, I-485, I-131, I-765, I-944, I-864, G-1145
    3/01/21 Mailed Packet
    3/03/21 Delivered - Chicago Lockbox
    3/25/21 Checks Cashed
    3/28/21 Received Receipt numbers through SMS
    4/05/21 Received NOA in the mail
    4/19/21 Previous Biometrics applied to forms I- 485 and I-765
    8/18/21 Both the I 485 & I-130 Approved
    8/23/21 We mailed your new card your Form I-485
    8/26/21 Card Was Delivered To Me By The Post Office

Comment

Thanks for your responses.

Regarding Q2: my parents are currently in India so perhaps the process is different. I am also considering having them travel on tourist visa first so that they can apply for citizenship once they are here, but I am not sure if the consulate is processing visitor visas in India either.

I am considering taking legal help to get clarifications on this. Any recommendations for an hour long legal consultation option?

Comment

Originally posted by abhishek2020 View Post
        Thanks for your responses.

Regarding Q2: my parents are currently in India so perhaps the process is different. I am also considering having them travel on tourist visa first so that they can apply for citizenship once they are here, but I am not sure if the consulate is processing visitor visas in India either.

I am considering taking legal help to get clarifications on this. Any recommendations for an hour long legal consultation option?
        The process is different if the parents are not in the US - I am not familiar with that process. I think (could be wrong), you meant to say that your parents are planning apply for green card not citizenship. I do not think that it is advisable to have them visit with the intent to file for AOS. I have seen this option discouraged but others might have a different opinion.

I consulted a local lawyer in my city, the consult fee was $75 for an hour. Hope this helps
        Timeline
        Family Based AOS (Parent)
        PD: 03/03/21
        Package: I-130, I-485, I-131, I-765, I-944, I-864, G-1145
        3/01/21 Mailed Packet
        3/03/21 Delivered - Chicago Lockbox
        3/25/21 Checks Cashed
        3/28/21 Received Receipt numbers through SMS
        4/05/21 Received NOA in the mail
        4/19/21 Previous Biometrics applied to forms I- 485 and I-765
        8/18/21 Both the I 485 & I-130 Approved
        8/23/21 We mailed your new card your Form I-485
        8/26/21 Card Was Delivered To Me By The Post Office

Comment

If they are outside the US, they will do Consular Processing abroad, not AOS. You will file I-130, and after it is approved, it goes through Consular Processing with NVC and the consulate. At that stage they would ask for their birth certificates and other documents.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Hi newacct,

Sounds like you are familiar with the consular processing of GC for parents in India. I have a question regarding the parents' GC interview in Chennai or Hyderabad consulate. Am I going to be allowed to accompany the parents to their GC interview in the Embassy as they don't speak English?

Thanks
            Padma

Comment

I found out more about Consular Processing option. Some people prefer to apply for AOS after they come to the US on a tourist visa, instead of Consular Processing. This is because when you do Consular Processing, you have to deal with 4 different government bodies: USCIS, NVC, Consulate and USCBP, whereas when you do AOS, you deal with one agency: USCIS.

Comment

Abishek, Have you decided to go with CP or AOS?

Comment

Still haven't decided. AOS definitely seems better but no new visitor visas are being granted until March 31 (from what I know). If someone has a visitor visa from Jan 2008 or later, they can use the dropbox facility. But, my parents' visitor visa was issued in Mar 2007, so they need to apply for a new one. If new visitor visas are pushed out further beyond March, CP might be the only option.

Comment

chpadmamca what are you considering? Do you know if visitor visas would be available soon?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                    X