Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Father's Green Card Application : No Birth Certificate

Hello,

Father is 84 years old, citizen of India. His green card application will be filed in a few months. He does not have a birth certificate as they were not issued during his time of birth in India. He has a school certificate that contains his date of birth. We have no contact with any of our relatives who can write an affidavit for his birth.

Question:
    Will father's school leaving certificate and a self-affidavit explaining the reasons for not having the birth certificate and affidavits be acceptable? If no, what additional documents would be needed?

Thank you

Hi,
    There is lot of supporting evidence you can include if birth certificate is unavailable.
    1. Hospital birth records
    2. School records
    3. State of Federal census records
    4. Church records in the form of a certificate
    5. Other legal records such as Voter ID, PAN card, DL, Passport.
    6. Affidavit from neighbors or friends if no relatives are available.
    7. Certificate of unavailability from the concern department in the locality where the person was born.
    8. Insurance records
    9. Employment records
    10. Financial records

For more details about Birth certificate unavailability, you can review our page to get more idea.

Thanks

Comment

Hello rkk09,

Thank you for the reply. I found this reciprocity link from the Department of State where it states for India, "For persons born prior to April 1, 1970, birth certificates are considered unavailable":

India (state.gov)

Does this mean we can submit father's school certificate, legal records such as Voter ID, PAN card, Passport etc. and it would be enough?

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by sailboat121 View Post
        Hello rkk09,

Thank you for the reply. I found this reciprocity link from the Department of State where it states for India, "For persons born prior to April 1, 1970, birth certificates are considered unavailable":

Does this mean we can submit father's school certificate, legal records such as Voter ID, PAN card, Passport etc. and it would be enough?

Thank you

Hi - I have the exact same scenario as yours. Can you please let me know what document you submitted in lieu of the birth certificate?
        | This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice |

Comment

Hello,
          In the same situation for my mom. I spoke to a lawyer, who pointed to the same link as above. However, I managed to get an affidavit from her elder sister, as well as found an employment document that has her birthdate. I was told by the lawyer that those would be more than sufficient, since birth certificate is considered unavailable and there isn't really a need to provide proof of unavailaibilty because of that.

Comment

Hi - I actually have my father’s birth certificate, even though he was born before 1970, we obtained it in 1986 after requesting it from the municipal authorities. The issue is it does not have his last name on it just his first name. Other details on it also match such as his father’s name, with his passport and other documents. Would submitting this, in the current form, cause any issues? He does not have any school-leaving or matriculation certificates & no relatives older than he are around who could vouch to his birthdate.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X